Zoop's alternator brackets?

bignbad60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Got my 348 stroker back from the machine shop, now to put together the final touches...Do any of you have any comments on the Zoop alternator brackets, also need power steering brackets? going to pull the tired 283 shortly and could use some help on the final dressing of the 348 ? any and all comments appreciated..Thanks Tim

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Tim, I have used small block power steering pump on 409 before. If you are not stuck on "correct" , it can be done. Ofcourse a 348 pump bracket would be easier, just depends on if you can find one. If not, drill the one hole in the small block pump bracket that lines up with the holes in the block, to 7/16 and mount the pump and make a stabilizer bracket from the back of the pump to the ex. man. flange ( or anywhere else you choose) Old gen or alt. adjusting brackets work well for rear brace. You might have to shim the pump from block to bracket to line pulleys up, been too long, cant remember. Good luck

Mr Goodwrench

Well Known Member
looks neat, but I can imagine turning it up and having a problem keeping those long belts on with those acssesories hung that far out.

chevy58guy

Supporting Member 1
Hi Tim--I have a Zoops complete setup on my 348 compressor/alt and p/s. The brackets are billet, hi polished and fit. Not only do you have adjustment in and out but also forward and back, so there is no shimming or crooked/cockeyed
pulleys. Now if your're running your battery in the stock tray, there will be an issue with the a/c belt hitting the lower radiator hose and top corner of the battery. I relocated my battery to the rear and used an idler. Also the p/s pump
should be gm type 2 used with the zoops bracket with remote reservoir and a 605 pump. You will have to drill and tap 2 mounting holes in the front engine mount boss for the bracket to fit. The whole package with brackets, polished a/c compressor, chrome 100amp 1 wire alt, pump and res and hardware comes in around $1500. Lots of work-- and moola but worth the looks and fitment. By the way, the outboard setup is not that far out...the picture in the catalog is exageratted somehow and the belts are not going to come off. I did my homework on brackets and this is the best setup--also the most expensive, but then again, you get what you pay for. Joe

bignbad60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Joe chevyguy
I'm not running a/c. Simply alt/ pqwer steering...What are the attachment points for the alt. bracket...I have the two bosses drilled and tapped on the drivers side for the power steering already.........Thanks for the info
Tim

chevy58guy

Supporting Member 1
Ok on the head you should have 2 7/16 holes for brackets. You will only use the outer hole for the alt bracket--this bracket will "rock" because of the single hole mount but on the bracket there will be an adjusting bar thats connected to the p/s
bracket---this must be Zoops also. So starting with the p/s bracket tha mounts with 2 holes to the front motor mount boss--then there will be an adjustable connecting bar to the alt bracket which is mounted by 1 7/16 hex bolt to the head. Sounds
stupid but when all hooked up and adjusted and tightened,,,it's solid I hope this helps.

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
I used my SBC stuff

I used the alt. and power steering pump from my small block on my new engine. The power steering pump mount is from Show Cars and everything fits ok with a seperate belt from the crank to the pump. The alt. uses the 409 brace arm and a cut off mount from 69-72 sbc pickups and vettes. I just cut it off to fit and pinned it to the head so it wouldn't rotate on the single bolt mount. All the pulleys are from my small block, seems to fit perfect.

Attachments

• brackets.jpg
    brackets.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 106
  • b2.jpg
    b2.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 105