“New” Intake

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Using .125 3003. Shaping isn’t the problem though I may try annealing. The problem is holding the form. I may have to epoxy a heavy piece of steel through it that I can clamp in a vice.
Maybe make a round plate the diameter of the wood buck and weld a steel bar or pipe to it. Then drill several holes in it and screw it to the end of the wood. .125 3003 will be real stuff to shape on that form without annealing, since it's so small and tight bends. I've used some good hose clamps to help pull thinner aluminum onto a little larger but similar shaped form. I think you might be surprised just how much easier the aluminum will bend after annealing. When I started working with .125 aluminum, I could not bend it by hand before annealing. After annealing it was pretty easy to bend by hand.

Tooth

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Thanks Cecil, good info and I’m thinking about building a sheet metal intake. Sounds like it would be perfect for that project. Easily bendable but it is not heat treatable, and I don’t plan on heat treating it anyway. Thanks again.
This is some scrap 6061 need a lot more practice! :wacko Some days it goes so smooth and other days I’m all over the place!:facepalm

Attachments

• EAC27562-E0BC-4B13-96F5-74CB88B45819.jpeg
    EAC27562-E0BC-4B13-96F5-74CB88B45819.jpeg
    53.2 KB · Views: 55
  • BEAF2CE5-4A1F-4036-BB91-465015F55F23.jpeg
    BEAF2CE5-4A1F-4036-BB91-465015F55F23.jpeg
    82.6 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:

Greg Reimer

Well Known Member
This is just an outstanding project! Chevy had a fascination for dual plane intakes and it didn't serve them well at all. The 409 port entry angles were too low at best, the half of the engine that was fed through the lower half of the intake had really bad port entry angles. Cylinders # 1,2,7&8 were so different than the other four that the horsepower differences cylinder to cylinder must have been immense. Sheet metal tall intakes, not even of the tunnel ram type with equal length and angles can't help but help things a lot. #6 intake runner on a small port iron 340 horse 409 intake is about the bottom of the heap when it comes to airflow and volumetric efficiency.

tenxal

Well Known Member
Thanks Cecil, good info and I’m thinking about building a sheet metal intake. Sounds like it would be perfect for that project. Easily bendable but it is not heat treatable, and I don’t plan on heat treating it anyway. Thanks again.
This is some scrap 6061 need a lot more practice! :wacko Some days it goes so smooth and other days I’m all over the place!:facepalm

You might try using a B/RB Mopar intake afor a donor as the runners are pretty close to the 'W' stuff. Cut the Mopar intake runner off where they meet the sides, make up a sheet valley cover and sides, weld the MoPar donor to the side plates...bada bing, bada boom. Well...not that easy but you get the idea. Did a couple of those a long time ago...worked well with both an 4781 Holley and a small Dominator. Intakes were the Edelbrock single plane.

A really slick one would be the Weiand single plane 440-6 intake with three 4412 Holleys. The plenum is pretty small so you don't have the huge signal loss and resultant fuel puddling of bigger tunnel rams. They also had single 4 tops for them. They pop up fairly often for sale. With a bit of plenum work, they made huge torque numbers on the 440 6 Pack Super Stockers in the day.

EksgSi9l.jpg

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
You might try using a B/RB Mopar intake afor a donor as the runners are pretty close to the 'W' stuff. Cut the Mopar intake runner off where they meet the sides, make up a sheet valley cover and sides, weld the MoPar donor to the side plates...bada bing, bada boom. Well...not that easy but you get the idea. Did a couple of those a long time ago...worked well with both an 4781 Holley and a small Dominator. Intakes were the Edelbrock single plane.

A really slick one would be the Weiand single plane 440-6 intake with three 4412 Holleys. The plenum is pretty small so you don't have the huge signal loss and resultant fuel puddling of bigger tunnel rams. They also had single 4 tops for them. They pop up fairly often for sale. With a bit of plenum work, they made huge torque numbers on the 440 6 Pack Super Stockers in the day.

EksgSi9l.jpg
They can be hard to find for sale because no one wants to give them up as normal.
20210301_232926.jpg

Tooth

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3

EksgSi9l.jpg
That’s interesting Al, thanks. It might be possible once you cut off the mounting plates to fit a z-11 valley cover. I’m sure it would need modifying. Mcquillen makes them. Ralph had a 440 torquer modified to fit a w motor, they split the plenum and stretched it front to back and used a z-11 valley cover... thanks again I’ll be on the hunt. A sheet valley cover and sides shouldn’t be too hard to fabricate.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
That’s interesting Al, thanks. It might be possible once you cut off the mounting plates to fit a z-11 valley cover. I’m sure it would need modifying. Mcquillen makes them. Ralph had a 440 torquer modified to fit a w motor, they split the plenum and stretched it front to back and used a z-11 valley cover... thanks again I’ll be on the hunt. A sheet valley cover and sides shouldn’t be too hard to fabricate.
I forgot to mention that this tunnel is 383-400 Mopar. The 440 stuff isn't very close. The 383-400 is nearly perfect match on the runners. 20210301_154339.jpg

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Have all the runners made. I still have to weld the pairs together and form and weld on the radius for each pair in the plenum. I knew this would be a lot of work but I had no idea how much.I wouldn’t make a second one no matter how good it worked!2AA317FF-4EBD-48AA-AE05-86CE5CBB32E0.jpeg3ABD6898-8E22-43D1-AF38-A487CD22B2C9.jpeg