1961 4 speed steering column.

21961chevys

I have a 1961 chevy convertible I,m restoring. I switched from a automatic to a 4 speed. I bought a 4 speed steering column and am having trouble with the blinker arm hitting the steering wheel. On a 1961 the steering wheel goes out straight, but the 1962 comes out at an angle. the 1962 fits no problem. The steering column is dated 1961. Does anybody know of this problem occuring to anybody else? I would appreciate your knowledge and help. thanks jeff

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
Welcome to the site Jeff, :clapGreat group of guys and a load of info.:dunno We all would like some pics of your ride.:crazy:cheers

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I have three 4-speed columns and have never experienced this issue although the turn signal lever only has about 1/4" clearance when used with the Impala steering wheel. You must have something out of alignment. Does your steering wheel have enough clearance from the column itself? Do you have a assembly manual you car refer to? Have you compared the auto column to the 4-speed column?

21961chevys

Dan thanks for your info. I took the steering column apart to be painted and I have someone else putting it back together for me. We'll double check with the manual. thanks abunch. Dan I'm new to this, all the years and cars below your name are those your cars? My impala has a 348 350hp tri-power with a 4 speed. I think were going to start it tomorrow for the first time. Got about a month to go on this project. thanks Jeff

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
4 speed columns

That 1961 348-350 horse build sounds like a great project, how long have you been working on her/owned her?

The question of four speed columns for the '61 and '62 had me intrigued, I did not know of any differences. I had converted my '62 over from PG to the four speed, bought a complete column from Jack Gibbs at the time.

I had trouble locating a 1961 four speed trans and shifter, ended up purchasing an entire parts car just for the transmission. Nabbed the factory 4 speed column, even took section out on the floor where the factory made the cut for the shifter.

My guess is that there were a lot more four speeds in 1962 than in 1961, and that the 1961 parts are somewhat harder to locate.

In one vehicle (1962 Belair 2 door post) I took the automatic column apart and shaved off the nub for the column shifter and then filled that and the two holes for the indicator (up top) then painted it the same color as the interior. It's not correct, but it looks good from two feet :).

Good luck with your project completion!

TomK

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Dan thanks for your info. I took the steering column apart to be painted and I have someone else putting it back together for me. We'll double check with the manual. thanks abunch. Dan I'm new to this, all the years and cars below your name are those your cars? My impala has a 348 350hp tri-power with a 4 speed. I think were going to start it tomorrow for the first time. Got about a month to go on this project. thanks Jeff

Jeff, Yes that is just part of my junk. post some pics of your project.