1961 409 value

fine09

GDay,im new to this so bare with me,i recently was lucky enough to purchase a 1961 409 and was wondering if anyone could give me a rough idea of its value.I am a 409 fan,and do own some,but im in Australia and never thought i would see a 61 409 nevermind own one.I have been approached to see if i would sell it but am a bit reluctant too.The engine is a short engine(heads long gone) but is standard bore, cast number 3795623,no 'x' on front of block.The engine has been in a boat so there is corrosion in water jackets but its not to far gone.I have never seen or heard of one for sale for a guide so help would be appreciated.

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Tommy
Are you on your way to Australia. I want to see film of you carrying that 1961 block through airport security. I also want to hear what you tell customs what it's worth for taxes.:roll :roll :roll

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Rstreet,
Naw, I remember what the shipping and insurance was on the one that I have, I can't imagine what it would cost to ship one from down under.:rolleyes:

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
I couldn't imagine what it would cost to get a block from Australia. I remember several years ago the costs and issues to get sludge belt press parts from Sweden (I think it was)
My 61 was built too late to have had a 409 also it was built in St. Louis so I won't be on the plane tomorrow to go get it. :brow

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Tommy:
There was a 61 s/s 409 car around this area(Southern Delaware) but it supposedly left with the owner when he went into the Navy. I am thinking it may have landed near you in the Norfolk/Hampden Roads area. That one might be cheaper to get....Heck I forgot you probably already have the car now!!!!!!

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Rstreet,
Well, I don't have that one but I have 2 '61 Chevrolet's so that's enough of them. Still look'n for the '61 Pontiac.

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
61 Pontiac is probably a tough find. Harold Ramsey had one in MacKenzie's area (Northern Delaware) and he used to race some here at U.S. 13 Dragway. (He also had an alumn. 62 that is now down in this area; not the one you saw in Carlisle) Charlotte N.C. area was probably a good area for them because of NASCAR

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
I know 61 409's are almost non existant now, but what's the deal on the 623 blocks? Are they considered restamps, when you find one? Skip:)

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
"but what's the deal on the 623 blocks? Are they considered restamps,"

I'm not sure what you mean? 623 was the last three digits of the casting number.
Here's a photo casting numbers on my '61 409 motor.

Attachments

• block casting number and cast date 3-4-06.jpg
    block casting number and cast date 3-4-06.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 81

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Tommy
I wonder if skipxt4 is referring to the 7 and 9 casting controversy on the 61-409's as I thought all 61's were ending in 623. I happened to notice the build date of your block. Is it the latest one that you have seen?? I believe it is the latest that I have heard of. Just being nosy but what is the build date of the car? Mine is 4th week of May. Of course w/o a 409!!:bang

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Dick Mackenzie
I didn't make it to Apple-Scrapple in Bridgeville. I have had pool problems that I needed to cleanup and some other yard issues. I worked over time today!!:roll

I may take some time off for car stuff tomorrow. There is a benefit cruise to Ocean City tomorrow and the Eastern Shore F__D Club has their big season ending show in Fruitland. I will probably put the top up(for the first time since Memorial day) and head to Fruitland to keep them honest. Most of them think mine is a 409 because of the 2X4 setup.:roll :roll

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Rstreet,
I think you are correct about the question concerning the casting number. As for my motor, yes, that is the lastest casting date that I've seen. However, I've seen other blocks with this same date, I believe it may the last date that they were cast.
This motor is for my blue SS that I'm restoring now, it is not the original motor, the original motor was a 348/350 hp, the build date on the body is the second week of April.

My white 61SS is the all original car.

Impalaguru

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Aussie 409

That 61 409 from down under makes me think about Dan Gurneys 61 Impala that went down there. It surfaced a few years ago on eBay but its original 409 had been removed many years before. There aren't very many 61 409s in the 'states. I can only imagine how RARE they are in australia. That would be an intersting story if it was the 409 out of Gurneys car!!!
Ross

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
61 409

real61ss: If you look in Showcars' catalog, there is a page of 409 casting numbers, by year. Rather than me typing it all out, I'll send you the article, if you haven't already read it. Its just another 409 mystery. Skip:)

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
fine09,

My 61 409 block was cast Nov 15, 1960 and has the casting number stamped into the area on the rear of the block where the casting numbers were ground off. There is no way to counterfeit a 409 block out of a 348 block without installing 8 sleeves as the cylinder walls were not thick enough to bore a 348 casting out to 409 specs. Probably the surest way to visually spot a true 61 409 is to look under the upper bell housing flange where you should find a series of big X's cast . This will only be visible if the bellhousing is off. The Show Cars catalogsays that a 623 with all stamped numbers is probably a counterfeit. I beg to differ. My block is .060 over and if someone can show me how to bore out a 348 to 4.370 then I might believe it is a fake. I believe Curt Harvey agrees as he had pictures of the all stamped numbers block in an article published in the August 91 issue of AllChevy Magazine.

pg409

Well Known Member
As a young guy I drooled at a photo of Gurney racing the '61 at a
race in Silverstone in England leading a pack of Jag sedans. The angle
of the car in the corner was extreme...but what a photo!!!!

I wonder where it is now??? And the history of the 409 engine on this post

...could it be??