1961 Bel Air family project

Shake-N-Bake

Well Known Member
I finally was able to get all the interior trim installed in spite of myself. I think I made this into a much more involved process than necessary. If I had to do it all over again, I'd use the following procedure: (maybe this will help out the next person who takes on this task....)

1. Prior to installing the headliner....install the screws for the side interior trim pieces, center view mirror, visors and coat hooks. Try not to run the screws all the way down....leave them slightly proud of where you think the headliner fabric will be when tensioned....this will make them easier to find later.
  2. If installing new tack strips, make sure they are properly retained. Tabs, screws, glue or whatever you need to make sure the tack strips don't move. If your replacement tack strips fit the groove properly, then you shouldn't have much of a problem. But the pieces I purchased were slightly different width so I had to figure out a way to keep them from shifting. If the tack strips move, it will be very hard to stretch the headliner. Do this before the front and rear windows are installed, it will be MUCH easier.
  3. Install and tension the headliner as best you can.
  4. Install front and rear windshield glass and stainless trim.
  5. Install drip rail stainless trim
  6. Install the window weatherstrip filler pieces for the quarter window and the piece over the door glass. These are the pieces that fill the space between the drip rail and top of the side glass (where the weatherstrip goes). Leave the A-Piller filler piece off for now...
  7. Attach the windlace to the two forward retainers and install in the car. The upper section tucks behind the left and right dash side pods. Install chrome oval head phillips screw into the lower hole in the dash side pod. Install the flat head phillips screw into the upper hole in the dash pod (this screw will be covered by the A-pillar interior trim.)
  8. Install the left and right interior dash trim pieces at the base of the windshield. Leave the screws slightly loose for now...
  9. Locate 3 screws under headliner fabric for center rear view mirror. Use X-acto knife to cut an X pattern over the screw head and birth the screw heads from under the fabric leave screws in place for now...
  10. Cut hole for interior cabin light and pulls wires through. Install base, trim ring and lens.
  11. Locate 3 screws on each side for side trim pieces and coat hooks and carefully cut fabric to expose the screws. Install side trim pieces and coat hooks, leave screws slightly loose
  12. Locate 3 screws on each side for visors and install visors. Will also have to cut X shaped hole for visor bracket spring socket.
  13. Install package tray
  14. Install left and right upper interior trim for rear window.
  15. Install left and right C-Pillar trim.
  16. Install left and right A-Pillar trim. Make sure the trim covers the the interior pinch weld flange on the A-Pillar. This will be quite hard because the trim will need to be flexed slightly to wrap over the flange. I found it easier to set the lower end into place first (at the side dash pod) and tip the top forward into place as I forcefully pulled the trim over the body flange. I found this step to be a bit difficult but with patience and some careful application of force, I was able to get them on correctly. I originally had the left and right upper windshield trim installed and those pieces would crash on the A pillar trim and prohibit installation. Once I removed the two pieces above the windshield, then the A pillar trim went in much easier.
  17. Last step is to install the left and right upper windshield trim and rear view mirror. Remove the mirror and assemble all three pieces together off the car, then install all three pieces at one time, lifting the ends up like a bird wing so they fit into under the A pillar tabs. You have to slide the left and right trim pieces onto the mirror bracket first because they won't go on any other way. A helping hand at this stage would be nice but not absolutely necessary.
  18. Final tighten all loose screws.
  19. Install forward weatherstrip filler pieces at A-pillar.
Here are some pics. I am not 100% satisfied with the headliner tension but it's the best I could do with all the problems I had. If I had to do it all over again, I am sure it would come out much better. I'll try and shrink the wrinkles down a little bit if possible. If not, then we'll have to live with it the way it is. :)

photo 1 window filler pieces.jpg Photo 2 interior trim.jpg

Shake-N-Bake

Well Known Member
Looks very nice. I would check with an upholstery shop, they maybe able to steam the minor wrinkles out of the headliner.
Good idea. My neighbor said the same thing. He used to own a body collision repair shop and he gave me a name of a guy he says can get the wrinkles out. He seems to think the issue is minor and can easily be remedied. I'll have no shame in asking for help with these sorts of things. :) I like to give it a try myself but when my skills are lacking then I am happy to receive some help. So far I've done pretty well I think.....thanks to some help from this forum. :)

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
You are doing a great job on your car!:bow:bow I believe most professional upholsterers use steam to remove wrinkles all the time. No shame there. Can't wait to see the car finished!!:beer

Shake-N-Bake

Well Known Member
Nearly done installing the windows. I have to spend some time adjusting the door glass to get it where I want. I was running out of daylight so I figured I would let it sit like this for a few days so the weatherstrip can compress a bit and then I'll try it again. Putting in the glass was a little bit of a ballet with the parts. Not sure if I did it in the correct order but I'll post the method I used in case it helps someone down the road.

Quarter windows.
For the life of me, I was not able to insert the window with the double S track already in place so I ended up inserting the glass first and stowing it over to the side. I never removed the regulator so it was in there already, I just made sure the little wheel turned freely. I inserted the window like I said before, then the double S track setting the upper studs in the lower part of the "L" grooves. I was then able to lift the glass out of the window slot just enough to get the rollers into their tracks and then install the rear roller track. Then I operated the regular to the middle position so I could attach it to the arc track that rests inside the window frame. Once I figured this out then the second window went in like butter. :)

Doors.
The vent window was pretty easy. I found the best way to adjust the position was from inside the car with the door shut and a helper standing outside to direct me. Don't spend too much time adjusting though....just get it reasonably close (because I had to loosen it later for the main door glass). When I installed the door glass, I had the regulator in place (which should really happen prior to installing the vent window btw...) and also had the rear track installed as well. I then loosened the vent window and rotated it on it's axis just enough to so the door glass can slide in there. I then rotated the vent window assembly back into place and then adjusted for final position, (don't forget the little screw in the corner of the vent window that sucks it up tight against the outer door skin). Seemed to work pretty well. There might be an easier way to do it but this is how it worked out for me. :)

I am really starting to like the red paint on the side trim. I know they are supposed to have white paint from the factory but this car had it's trim painted red immediately after purchase so we are going with it again. :) I am curious to see how its going to look with the front clip installed.... :) :)

LH side trim.jpg

Shake-N-Bake

Well Known Member
Getting ready to install the interior next. :) This car came with carpet door to door from the factory, it did not have the rubber-carpet-rubber combo that Bel Airs are supposed to have. Not sure what happened at the factory but it had carpet when it arrived. At the time our dad took delivery of the car, he complained to the sales manager about the carpet and they gave him floor mats as a consolation. The floor mats were white with a white bowtie logo. I've looked around and can't find white/white reproduction mats that I liked. Ciadella has white with a grey logo but we didn't feel it worked so we went with red/white. They should look great! :)

On a side note.....does anyone have a link to a thread that shows how the carpet is supposed to be installed? Is the rear carpet held down by the front seat bracket while the front carpet covers the bracket and bolts? Any tips on where to secure the seat belts? This car didn't come with belts originally but we are adding belts for the two front passengers.

Thanks.

01 Red mats front.jpg 02 Red mats rear.jpg 03 Red mats white logo.jpg

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I've never seen the rubber-carpet-rubber floor covering combo in anything except '61 Parkwoods. Did they come in Bel Air cars as well? I've always thought it is extremely cool. Wish I would have had the foresight to remove the red one from my parts wagon when I got it 25 years ago.

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Getting ready to install the interior next. :) This car came with carpet door to door from the factory, it did not have the rubber-carpet-rubber combo that Bel Airs are supposed to have. Not sure what happened at the factory but it had carpet when it arrived. At the time our dad took delivery of the car, he complained to the sales manager about the carpet and they gave him floor mats as a consolation. The floor mats were white with a white bowtie logo. I've looked around and can't find white/white reproduction mats that I liked. Ciadella has white with a grey logo but we didn't feel it worked so we went with red/white. They should look great! :)

On a side note.....does anyone have a link to a thread that shows how the carpet is supposed to be installed? Is the rear carpet held down by the front seat bracket while the front carpet covers the bracket and bolts? Any tips on where to secure the seat belts? This car didn't come with belts originally but we are adding belts for the two front passengers.

Thanks.
The seat belts used a I-bolt that had a flange under the I. I thought I had a pic but I can't find it.
View attachment 30261 View attachment 30262 View attachment 30263

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I've never seen the rubber-carpet-rubber floor covering combo in anything except '61 Parkwoods. Did they come in Bel Air cars as well? I've always thought it is extremely cool. Wish I would have had the foresight to remove the red one from my parts wagon when I got it 25 years ago.
My car had the Bel Air mats with carpeted hump.

Bel Air Floor Matts Carpet.jpg Bel Air Floor Matts Carpet 1.jpg