1961 impala chassis 2 door and 4 door same?

fastcars

Well Known Member
I have a 2 door bubble top Impala and it needs a new chassis. I have two extra bubble top cars and two 4 door cars. All have good chassis. I know that 4 door and 2 door chassis are the same size but are they the same? I'm thinking it has different bolt holes, is that right? Will I be able to remove and swap frames without haveing problems with the bolts lining up?

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Sameness...

As far as I can tell, the 2 door and 4 door frames seem to be the same. I know the convertible frames are slightly different from those, but you should be OK in slipping your Sport Coupe body underneath your "more-door" frame :).

If they don't line up then I am in deep doodoo since I already sandblasted and totally rebuilt a 1961 four door frame, to be used underneath my 1961 Belair Sport Coupe :(.

Good luck!
TomK

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Should be Fine

I used a frame from a 4 dr under my Bubble Top with no problems. However the floors are also from a 4 dr HT. :dunno But I looked the old frame over pretty good and saw no difference. I'm sure one of the xperts with chime in. :hug

fastcars

Well Known Member
Sounds like you guys are doing it already or have done it. I hope you guys are right because I'm about to pull the chassis from the 4 door, sandblast it and paint it. This is hard for me to do since I dont have any room to move around.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
All 2-door, 4-door and station wagon frames are the same with the exception of the convertible. Convertible frames have extra bracing welded to them and 12 body mounts. All the other frames have 8 body mounts.

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Just thought I should add that a 1962 frame does not have the 1961 bumper mounting holes in the rear center portion of the frame. I just picked up a 61 4Dr frame for my 62 Bubbletop and it had these 4 square holes. 62 does not need them.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Go for it!

Fastcars:

Looks like you can use one of the four door cars as your donor, as we expected. I can sympathize with you when you say: "This is hard for me to do since I dont have any room to move around."

You think you've got space issues, you ought to see my operating environment :).

Good luck, have fun, be safe!

TomK

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
About floors, in the 59, the floor pans are the same in 2 & 4 door, wagons and el caminos. Probably the same for all x frames?

Don

Skim

Well Known Member
About floors, in the 59, the floor pans are the same in 2 & 4 door, wagons and el caminos. Probably the same for all x frames?

Don

the 61-64's use the same floor pans, yet they are different than the 60 and earlier cars.

As Skim Stated The Floors Are The Same On 61-64 , From The Gas Pedal To The Under The Rear Seat Pan On All Body Styles , The Only Difference Is The 2 Dr , 4 Dr , And Wagons Not Having The Extra Body Mounts That The Verts Have The 2 Dr ,4dr ,and Wagons Do Not Have The Nut Plate In Place In The Floor Braces , That Is Vert Only

Now As For The Frame Question , The Frame Is The Same On , 2dr , 4dr , 4 Dr Hard Tp , Wagons
The Vert Frame Is By It Self
And As Brian Pointed Out 61 Frame Will Work In Any Of The Following Years No Problem 61,62,63,64
But If Installing In A 61 The 62,63,64 Frames Will Need Be Modified For The Lower Valences / Bumpers
Now If Someone Is Not An All Out 100% Correct Person The 61 Frame Will Work In 2,3,4 But There Is A Cosmetic Difference
Hope This Helps Out

Mr Clean

Supporting Member 1
Does any one know if the rear glass in a 61 4dr sedan will fit in a 2dr sedan? If so i need the rear glass for my 61 belair 2dr sedan. Any one have some glass for my car, i really need everything except the windshield. Thanks in advance. I live in florida.

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Does any one know if the rear glass in a 61 4dr sedan will fit in a 2dr sedan? If so i need the rear glass for my 61 belair 2dr sedan. Any one have some glass for my car, i really need everything except the windshield. Thanks in advance. I live in florida.

Try Auto City Classic for the glass

Fits Buick Models:

•1961 2 Door Sedan, LeSabre #4411
•1961 4 Door Sedan, LeSabre #4469
Fits Chevrolet Models:

•1961 2 Dr Sedan
•1961 2 Dr Utility Sedan
•1961-62 4 Dr Sedan
Fits Oldsmobile Models:

• 1961 2 Door Sedan Dynamic 88 #3211
•1961 4 Door Sedan Dynamic 88 #3269, Super 88 #3569
Fits Pontiac Models:

•1961-62 Catalina 2 Dr Sedan
•1961-62 Catalina & Star Chief 4 Dr Sedan

fastcars

Well Known Member

I am Parting out 2 4door 61 impalas. I have 2 sets of the rear glass and 3 sets of all the side door glass. They should all be the same and fit your car. I'm only parting out with the parts that will not fit a convertible so all other body parts are staying with me.

Mr Clean

Supporting Member 1
61 parts/glass

I am Parting out 2 4door 61 impalas. I have 2 sets of the rear glass and 3 sets of all the side door glass. They should all be the same and fit your car. I'm only parting out with the parts that will not fit a convertible so all other body parts are staying with me.

City glass does'nt have the back glass for the 61 sedan,impala etc. would you part with one of yours? I do need some othet parts as well. what would be the best way to communicate with you if interested in letting go of some? :help