1961 SS car I'm building

troublemaker427

Well Known Member
Thanks guys!! I like them all, especially from the early 1960s era. I backed it out of the shop under it's own power for the first time two weeks ago. That was a milestone!!

Pat the wagon looks great. I really want to find a decent '61 Ford two door Ranch Wagon someday. Keep up the great work!!

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Wow Pat! part of me would have rather you just got it running and driving as is! Definite time capsule.

While was in really good condition, it needed work. It was stored about 38 or so years, needed one of the rear floor pans, trunk pan and one wheelwell lip. Everything else was surface rust. The interior is mostly reusable except the drivers side seat and lean back. Carpet does need to be replaced.
Note the door drilled full of holes to lighten. Not factory.

IMG_7541.JPG

Note the aluminum hood had never been cut for a scoop. One of the few.

IMG_7511.JPG

Original key with code stamped in key.

IMG_7510.JPG

63impalass409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Did they drill any other holes and are you going to leave the doors like that or replace them? Any how's you are super lucky to have these cars!!!!!!!!!

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Did they drill any other holes and are you going to leave the doors like that or replace them? Any how's you are super lucky to have these cars!!!!!!!!!

Those were the only holes....and only in the passenger door???? I would have thought frame or other places, but nothing.

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Nice car, Pat.:clap You Texas Guys, are Very Lucky. If that, was a NY. car, all the holes in the pass, door would have been Rust.:doh:confused:teehee:eek1

Have to tell you.....it was from NY originally!! Raced all around Niagara, Indy, many, many others. The story is it lived its entire life in New York, Pa, Ohio and North East from there.

What is amazing is since Phil has pillaged everything down here, I figured I would take matters in my own hands and rummage through some other states.

Actually the car ended up being stored for 35 plus years in the corn crib below. The UNIQUE individual that owned it was afraid people would steal everything he had and hid it in a similar place.

Anyway, it ended up being in incredibly good condition save what I've described before.
I've had the aluminum straightened and the bumpers straightened and rechromed, now to finish the body!!!

Home for about 37 years!!

IMG_3794.JPG

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
I've learned to never say never!! Bear with me on this story.

Example: may have shared this before, but so it goes:) :)

This may not be the place, but..........

Back in late 63 after Chevrolet had quit racing, Dick Harrell was still hanging on with Chevy. He had built the Novas with the Z-11 engine, was working on building a 1964 Chevelle when Ford Motor Co approached him. They offered him a ride. They gave him a 1964 Thunderbolt for $1. He being a Chevy guy, felt really bad, but needed a fast ride. He took delivery of the car. He put it in an enclosed trailer and hid it from everyone. He took it to a shop outside of Carlsbad. He would go out there at night. He had marked off 1/4 mile and would run the "Dog S_ _t" out of it to see how fast he could make it go. Then with this as his baseline, he worked on the Z-11 powered '64 Chevelle until he got it faster than the Thunderbolt. When he was convinced the Chevelle was quicker he called Ford and returned the Thunderbolt!!!

Here's the rest of the story.......

I have found the Thunderbolt and have been trying to acquire it.

That's why I say...never say never.

Look long and hard enough and that stuff is out there.

Dick MacKenzie

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Would this z11 have been on Dick MacKenzie list of z11 ''s that he posted some time ago?????

Raced out of Glen Campbell Chevrolet by Dave & Lee Colbert

New York
Oak Hill Chevrolet,East Chester, NY: Bill Lagana - Restored
Salinas Chevrolet,, Syracuse NY: Don Kimball - Body junked
Glen Campbell Chevrolet,Buffalo NY: Dave, Lee Colbert - Dave still races NHRA Super Stock.