1962 Bubbletop old school look not valuable

Impalaguru

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I was at Barrett Jackson last year and the modified cars really didn't excite all that many people. The street rods were selling for FRACTIONS of what they cost to build. The original, documented cars really brought the big money.
If you've got a REAL, factory built muscle car or other rare model, that will never change. It will always carry a certain weight that most customs could never match.
Ross

RCE1962

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
wmotor

The black and white of this is.... its either a "restoration" or a "fabrication". However, many of us fall within the gray areas, (such as myself) as a full restoration is not always possible, due to time, skill, knowledge or money etc.

I consider the beautiful restoration of your car as a present day connection to automotive history. That's why I enjoy vintage car shows and vintage drag races. Personally, I want to see what cars, like this, looked like when they were built back in the day. I want to hear it run and..... if I would be so lucky...drive it... or at least ride shot-gun! Oh BTW that especially includes "throw-back" versions of racing these classic beasts.

Squeezing some more horsepower from an old W...to me... seems to be more fun than ordering from a crate. No disrespect intended with regards to those who prefer to create another version,......... but its alot more difficult to find 45 year old parts, for the project car, than to dial 1-800 "bling-me". A bone-stock, vintage, domestic six-banger, will get more attention from me, for the reasons previously described.

I admire the challenge that you've met to complete this car.

Would I pay more for the modern stuff? ........Not a chance.

Hang in there.

RCE1962

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
20 inch wheels are so #$&%ING UGLY, that a civilized written opinion is not possible.:scratch :roll :roll I agree Aubrey.:clap :clap How thick are the sidewalls, on a 20 inch tire? Two inches, maybe. I thought the original idea of pneumatic tires was an improved ride. What kind of a ride do you get when it feels like you're rideing around on 4 flat tires?:dunno I don't know, maybe I'm stuck in the 60's.:roll :roll Skip:cool:

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
BIG wheels are the way to go, you dudes are way too old!

Attachments

• 43037-500-0.jpg
    43037-500-0.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 73

gabriel-cestaro

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
modified is ok

hi i have a 62 impala that has a custom interior 18 x8 front/18x10 in rear budnik wheels cut for me corvette rotors and caliper air ride not hoppy up and down for display reasons only custom rad from ron davis 327 engine ford valve covers custom air cleaner custom dash a torch red paint job all moldings chromed i belive i build it right and really do not need to change it to win a show the people that need to change very year are the ones going to every car show and after winning think they can go back next year and win again the way they can is to change the car i really like a stock car but i also feel that just building a car stock is where to order parts building a custom build is like improveing on the stock verison take what is aleardy nice and making it nicer in my eyes

Attachments

• Picture 034.jpg
    Picture 034.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 82
  • Picture 004.jpg
    Picture 004.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 73
  • Picture 018.jpg
    Picture 018.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 69
  • Picture 022.jpg
    Picture 022.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 77
  • Picture 008.jpg
    Picture 008.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 61

tripowerguy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Real61 gave an excellent review of selling one of our cars. People for some reason are pulled to a factory stock car. Even a high performance car. The modified cars may look great with the big wheels and lots of crome but they will not make money. You need to do those things for your own satisfaction but the first words out of a buyers mouth will be does it have the original engine or do you have the original engine. These cars are 40+ years old but they want original. Just my opinion and it is made from experience. :cry Roy

gabriel-cestaro

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
money

3 years ago i brought 1962 impala to goodguys car show in rinback ny
car got hit in sat 7:00 am in the lower quater panel at 10:00 am i had 55000.00 in my pocket cash money the car had a 350 zz4 engine and again a full dressed engine and air ride i had about 35000.00 in car not bad for the work i put in pictures of that car below:doh :doh :doh :doh :doh :doh :doh :dunno

Attachments

• eb43_3.jpg
    eb43_3.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 59
  • e9de_3.jpg
    e9de_3.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 64
  • ea99_3.jpg
    ea99_3.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 74
  • ea20_3.jpg
    ea20_3.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 54
  • eb0b_3.jpg
    eb0b_3.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 60

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
hi i have a 62 impala that has a custom interior 18 x8 front/18x10 in rear budnik wheels cut for me corvette rotors and caliper air ride not hoppy up and down for display reasons only custom rad from ron davis 327 engine ford valve covers custom air cleaner custom dash a torch red paint job all moldings chromed i belive i build it right and really do not need to change it to win a show the people that need to change very year are the ones going to every car show and after winning think they can go back next year and win again the way they can is to change the car i really like a stock car but i also feel that just building a car stock is where to order parts building a custom build is like improveing on the stock verison take what is aleardy nice and making it nicer in my eyes
learn how to use - , - . - ! :roll :D

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Nice!

I seem to be getting off the original subject, which as I recall was "why are custom car variants of our beloved X frames commanding more $$$ right now than a well restored original muscle car?" or something like that.

In the middle of the conversation I see pics of G-C's beautiful custom '62 (I'd love to know who had to put up the $55K and who ended up with all your sweat and labor!). Forget the words, I was looking at the pics, baby! Very nice.

I still think we are talking about two camps here. I'm closer to Tommy (but still very far away in quality and budget) in that I prefer a "return-to-what-was-stock-back then look", but I do appreciate the efforts to fabricate and be personalized and different. I just prefer to participate in the restoration and I have absolutely no artistic talent (my older brother got all those genes!) nor am I good at fabrication (but I'd like to be...), so I am "stuck" in that all I can do is mimic 1960s GM efforts. And then there are budget constraints that many of us have to live with (families, debt load, etal).

A few of my buddies are fabricators supreme, but they do not have the platforms or the finances to do a high dollar custom. They do "rat rods" instead (no billet, pre 1968 cars, no bling bling, flat black primer paint, that sort of thing). I appreciate those as well, and hope to be a part of that. Not too many of my friends have super custom cars, but I appreciate those efforts as well.

My point is that there are many interests out there, and many "markets". I'm not sure the stock musclecar market is stable, but over time it is remarkably consistent in escalating prices and reported values. Not sure about the custom market. Looks like a lot of personal labor that may not be "affordable" to all. I wonder how those custom car prices hold up over time? Aren't we lucky to have the freedoms that allow us to do each of these and appreciate them all?

Cheers!
TomK

gabriel-cestaro

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
true

Tom i could of not said it better/ has far as money to spend iam a 1 income family and done with out of lunchs and vactions and endless hours of overtime to get where iam at today getting my first 409 engine bottom line is i love them all cars :) :) :) :roll :roll

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Tom, I spotted it yesterday and put it on my watch list. I don't think he is marketing it right with his opening bid...:doh Wish I had the cash for that car...:deal

bubbatop

stock vs pt

I love the history and the nostalgia of the bone stock chevys but to me it is too stressful to get all the details nailed down(the right bolts, chalk marks etc). I would much rather jump in a beautiful bubbletop with some serious horsepower and drive for as long as I want to. I want to do power tours, overnight cruises etc and wouldn't feel right doing it with a 99 point car. I lfigured out that I will only be here once and storing a trophy car in my garage isn't as fun as driving the h out of it. Now here's what you guys are calling ugly???

Keep in mind if you go to see any of the GM built factory replicas at sema etc they are lowered because they are going for not only esthetics but also shock value.

Attachments

• redbubblebagged.jpg
    redbubblebagged.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 61