1962 hood hinge

32jeff62

are their any numbers or markings on origonal 62 hood hinges. or how can i tell the difference betwoon orig and repo??
thanks
jeff

bobs409

Administrator
If it works good, it's an original. If not, it's a repro. :D

Actually, I have no experience with repro hinges but have never heard anyone say they were good. Lots of complaints on those...

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
62 hinges are also junk. A local friend just got a pair and his hood does not fit right and they do not stay up.
I have seen others comments from the past on repro 62 hinges that are junk. Use originals and if the rivits are bad, have them replaced. I have been collecting good 62 hinges for use and if someone needs some and have a good recommended source for replacement of the rorginal style rivits if necessary .

Another friend had me plate his 62 hinges (without checking the rivits) and when the body shop installed them on his 62 Belair 2 door, the hood would not shut down all the way in the back. I had to sell him another plated set with tight original rivits. Lesson learned on checking originals for wear on the rivits.
Paul

32jeff62

62 hinges are also junk. A local friend just got a pair and his hood does not fit right and they do not stay up.
I have seen others comments from the past on repro 62 hinges that are junk. Use originals and if the rivits are bad, have them replaced. I have been collecting good 62 hinges for use and if someone needs some and have a good recommended source for replacement of the rorginal style rivits if necessary .

Another friend had me plate his 62 hinges (without checking the rivits) and when the body shop installed them on his 62 Belair 2 door, the hood would not shut down all the way in the back. I had to sell him another plated set with tight original rivits. Lesson learned on checking originals for wear on the rivits.
Paul

thanks guys. paul do you have a pair of orig ones that you would sell?
thanks
jeff

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I do have 2 or 3 sets of 62 original hinges that I would sell.
Paul

entourageguy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
and what ever you do don't lube them. I had a good original set I bought off here and after installing them thought they were a little stiff. Shot a bit of lube on them.
Now they will still hold the hood up but the slightest jar and down it come.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I agree I did the same thing to my 62 convert hinges, and the hood barely stays up.
Paul

mac1

Well Known Member
Well, I guess I'm the only one that has had success with the aftermarket '62 hinges. They have worked great now for four years.
As far as the spring goes, I had to cut one coil off of each of the originals to bring back the correct tension. Easy to do with
a vice, some map gas and a hack saw. Mac

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
and what ever you do don't lube them. I had a good original set I bought off here and after installing them thought they were a little stiff. Shot a bit of lube on them.
Now they will still hold the hood up but the slightest jar and down it come.
I did the same with my 62 vert original hinges. I lubed them with TriFlow. They wont hold the hood up at all now.

Kdurgin

Well Known Member
Can't you flush the pivot points out with something like brakeclean to get that lube out so they work properly again?

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
These '62 hinges have been a sore spot for a long time. I put new springs on mine back in '92 and it made no difference whatsoever, even on dry hinges. Barely held the hood up. The hood would even fall down when the hinges got wet while cleaning the engine compartment. I solved my falling hood issue by removing that lower rivet that holds the big washer on the sliding link at the bottom of the hinge. I replaced the rivet with a 3/8" bolt and locking nut so that I can add a little tension to that link. Its been that way for about 10 years and stills holds the hood up just fine. BTW, I only modified one hinge. I am still considering cutting off one turn on my springs. That would be the better fix. Need to find out from the California guy if he can oil his hinges after he cut the springs. Leo

entourageguy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
When I bought my car the previous owner had welded a couple of spring coils together for more tension. I'm going to look at the bolt install setup a bit more.