1962 Impala 409 dual exhaust kit?

denson1932

Well Known Member
Has anyone bought this dual exhaust kit on EBay? Any good? It sez it does not come with resonators but they say it comes with pipe to eliminate the resonators.... Looks from diagram that could easily be modified for straight out the back....that's what we want to end up with....running 2 1/2"409 stock exhaust manifolds 3814683 and 3814682, want like stock muffler, aluminized pipe with 2 1/2" front and 2" back.....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/141950409886?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Looks like you could put a horizontal cut at the rear upward turn down bend and flit it then weld back together.

430hp

I would look at Shafer's Classic Reproductions Inc. 1-813-628-0092. In my opinion they have the best fitting original exhaust systems on the market. They also have custom applications. If you call talk to who is in charge of tech, I believe his name is Terry. He might be able to help with the design you want.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Here is the system link with exhaust pipes to the manifolds for center dump factory manifolds 2 1/2" inch outlets.
Its only $500. We got a set like this from Phil Reed for our 62 SS 409 convertible. The type of manifolds(and size) on the 409 motor will dictate which one you need

Do not buy a system unless you know who made it.
Talk to Shafer about the systems available.

http://shafersclassic.com/i-22627269-1960-1962-chevrolet-348-409-dual-with-2-1-2-exhaust-system.html

I strongly suggest the original exhaust system mounts (buy a set -that is plated -to prevent rust )-since these pre bent exhaust systems fit the factory mounts on the frame -they use fine thread screws to
mount to factory pre driilled holes in the frame. I would not use a mounting system that requires welding mounts to the frame.

Paul

63impalass409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I know when I did the exhaust on my 65 409 car I called show cars automotive and they asked if I was using stock exhaust manifolds for the 65 and they said they had the jig to bend the factory style and I bought the hangers also from them and it fit perfectly, no drilling holes or bending pipe and no bloody knuckles! !!!!!