1962 Impala SS 409 Clone - Value?

Geeto67

Hey Guys,

After an exhausting search for my father's original 1962 SS 409 Chevy that he bought brand new in 1962, I have come up empty handed. BTW his original was a Black on Black 409 2x4, 4 speed Imapala SS hardtop car purchased new in Brooklyn New York (in anybody has any info please e-mail me at dean_morarity@yahoo.com I have a vin number for reference). Anyway back to the story:

While trolling the internet classifieds I come up with a recently posted ad for a black on black 1962 409 2x4 4spd car with an address less than a Mile from my work. SO I go take a look last night and here are my observations:

The car is a clone, but that is ok because the ad said clone.

Engine:
It has a W-motor in it but I am unable to confirm if it is a 348 or a 409. The front block numbers (in front of the head) were ground off (on purpose) and I could not get to the back numbers with the car on a lift. It has the correct 2x4 carter afb carbs on it. Ignition is a msd with some monster coil, the distributor looked new. The car has jardine headers on it. Looks like it has the correct fan shroud. The fuel lines are not stock but I didn't expect them to be. My overall impression of the engine bay is that someone spent a lot of time and money to make this look like a period correct 409 hotrod. The car has a healty cam in it, Lopes nice at idle. Runs good, there is a new choke on the rear carb and the accelerator pump seemed a little weak in the rear carb. Personally I thought the timing needed to be checked and a valve adjustment performed but otherwise the motor was strong and heathly with no strange noises.

The Body and frame:
This body is super clean. I had it up on the lift and as near as I can tell by looking at the backside of all the panels is that the floor, trunk floor, front fenders, sills, doors, and rioght side quarter had never been replaced or mashed. The left side had a small patch panle welded in.I could not spot it from the outside but could see the butt weld from the back side of the panel just below the trunk floor. There were still two dime sized rot holes in the left trunk extention but they were treated with por15 and covered sufficiently that I didn't have to worry about it roting out more. The body was originally a non SS white and red 327 four speed car with a red interior according to the trim tag, so at least it is a stick shift body. There was a lot of the factory undercoating still on the car, the x frame had no visible repairs, the body bushings were new but if the car was off the frame it wasn't off for very long. There is no trace of the original paint anywhere I could find, which leads me to believe that the car was completely disassembled and painted while apart. The paint is laquer, the good old school hand rubbed laquer, in black. There is not one scratch on this car anywhere to be found, no chips, not one dent. There are no waves in the body, no bad body work. All the doors, hood and trunk close extremely nice and all the gaps are almost dead even from start to finish. I think it needs a left side hood hinge adjustment as it sits a little higher on that side but otherwise it is dead on. I used to wrok for a shop that did corvettes for bloomington and carlisle, and the body on this impala is one of the nicest steel cars I have ever seen. It has all the correct impala SS trim pieces, including all of the engine turned pieces, dent and scratch free. Everything on this car is tight, nothing rattles or squeaks.

Interior: The interior is a real SS interior in black vynil. It has the buckets and a console. The headliner, and seats look worn enough for me to say they are original covers, not repros, but there are no holes in them anywhere, no rips, they are soft and supple. The door panels are obviously new, the console has been refinished, but the dash does not look restoered. It is missing the SS between the rear seats but otherwise lookes like a real ss interior. My impression is that someone took a black interior out of a real SS and put it in this car.

Misc: Here is what bothered me most about the car:

1) The seller is not an enthuasist. He was a really nice guy in his mid 30's, and owns a shop that specalizes in late model porches, Mercedes, BMW. He didn't seem to know a lot about these old chevy's, and he didn't seem to care too much, to him it was just a great looking fun old car that turned a lot of heads, probably on par with a new SL mercedes. He bought the car "finished" and so he didn't know a lot about it (didn't know the rear end ratio, whether the tranny was a t-10 or a muncie). The seller has nothing on this car. He bought it from a dealer in penn. There is no paperwork or history on the car at all. He does not know who built it, nor does he know some of the equipment the car has.

2) it was hard to start cold, something told me it was just advanced too much - the owner owned up to this when I mentioned it to him, but it bothers me that he has been mucking around with it and the carbs (I used to drive a 67 GTO daily I know these cars need regular maintenance but he was expirmenting but add that in with his lack of expirence and it becomes worrisome).

3) there was an original tach in the car, but it was mounted in the wrong place - jutting off the dash to the right of the steering wheel not on the column like it should be. It wasn't on the column because the car had an automatic column (with the lever removed). The owner told me that he bought the car that way. Having seen the pedal assembly and the 4sp hole in the floor, the car was either a 4 spd car originally or someone put way too much time in putting a factory style hump and hole in the floor without any evidence of welding or patching - given the patch panel in the rear this is unlikely.

4) The car has big a littles on new cragar rims. It also has blue dot taillights, chrome valve covers, and those little 2" chome air cleaners. It seriously looks like how a kid would build a 409 in 1962 out of a new car. I get the feeling that the car has been powershifted a few times. Yet I couldn't find any rubber in the rear wheel wells. Still you can tell the car was built for fun and not the show ground. IT bothers me it is a clone.

My overall impression is that someone spent a fortune on making this car look and feel like a real SS 409, but didn't hide the fact that the car is a clone. There are a few things bothering me about it but not enough.

The owner said he paid $20,000 to a dealer three years ago for the car and he would like to get that back. His initial price to me was $25K but I balked right away at that because the car is a clone.

My impression is that as a Clone the car is probably only worth $15K at most. I see from some of the ads out there that for about $20K I could probably get a real 409 car in driver condition. My father really wants a real 409 car but this car is here, in our neighborhood, the right color combination, and is a drive away tomorrow deal.

So what do you guys think about the price?

Edit: Anybody in the NY area who is really knowledgable about these cars wanna take a look at it with me in case I missed anything.

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Price is right

Seems right for a clone of good quality. Is it a Hi-Po 690 head kind of engine? Not too sure about an original SS 409 1962 Impala driver for 20,000. If you like it and have the cash, I say buy it.

Geeto67

models916 said:
Seems right for a clone of good quality. Is it a Hi-Po 690 head kind of engine? Not too sure about an original SS 409 1962 Impala driver for 20,000. If you like it and have the cash, I say buy it.

I don't really know anything about the w-engine that is in the car. Like I said someone deliberatly ground the numbers off the block on the pad in front of the right side head. When I say ground, I mean that the engine is painted chevy orange except where this pad is and there are grinding marks, the area where the numbers are is smooth, and there is bare metal showing. I am not sure why someone would do this other than 1) the block is stolen, or 2) they are trying to hide the fact that the engine is a 348. I didn't have my decode books with me so I didn't take down any numbers. I do have to go look at it again with my father (afterall the car is really his toy- I have my own 67 GTO to worry about) so I will grab an many engine numbers as I can find. What should I be looking for? what is good, what is bad?

edit:
The NADA value on a REal 409 is $34,000+ for a show car, and about $21,000+ for an average retail price. Average retial is defined as a good quality driver.

64 409 car that sold for a similar price ($20K-$30K)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Rare...oryZ6169QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

On ebay most of the cars that are not selling have high bids in the $20,000 range. In the past 30 days there was only 1 409 that sold.

In print ads (like traider online) I am seeing nice real 409 number matching cars go for high $20K- Mid $30K depending on condition, the non matching # 409 cars going for $mid $20K, and Real SS cars with small blocks are going for around $8K-$15K depending on condition.

That is where I guessed the car's value is $15K, not a real 409, not a real SS, but it has most of the parts. Of course I am not in this hobby, so I would like to hear more from you guys. Thanks.

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
If the engine is a 068 block and has 690 heads , I would not be afraid of it. The pad numbers are removed when the block is re-surfaced ( most of the time .020 will remove the pad nos.) Someone may or may not have done it on purpose. Since the car is in such excellent condition , I would say $20,000 is reasonalbe if the engine details prove to be a "real" 409. Finding a 62 body in that condition is getting harder and harder to find. You can always replace engine parts, but finding a body without waves is a good find. Its your money, but, the right car, the right engine-trans, the right color, excellent condition all adds up to $20,000. Just my opinion. Good luck with your decision.

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I don't have any problems with clones. I'll bet they out number original 409 cars by about 3 to 1. At least the seller's not trying to mis-represent it. My guess is that some of those original 409 cars started out as 283s and became original 409 cars some time later.:D I think that if it looks like a good car it's probably priced about right:dunno but you've got to check the numbers,:deal if the high performance 409 turns out to be a 348 from a truck... then it's worth a LOT less.