1963409ss

James jones

Well Known Member
I have had several 348-409 powered cars and trucks. 1959 impala conv. 348-250hp. 1963 impala 409-340hp ss hdtp 4 speed. 1964 impala ss hdtp 409-340hp 4 speed. 1960 chev half ton pickup with 409-340hp Holley 700cfm carb with mechanical secondaries man choke and electric fuel pump dixco tach etc. this was a real rocket ship.

NCPOP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I have had several 348-409 powered cars and trucks. 1959 impala conv. 348-250hp. 1963 impala 409-340hp ss hdtp 4 speed. 1964 impala ss hdtp 409-340hp 4 speed. 1960 chev half ton pickup with 409-340hp Holley 700cfm carb with mechanical secondaries man choke and electric fuel pump dixco tach etc. this was a real rocket ship.
Welcome to the sight, you’ve had some cool stuff. I am east of you in Wilson.
do you have any W cars now?

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
:pics We love pictures! Welcome aboard!

James jones

Well Known Member
Dear east of Wilson, I sent you a message but don’t know if it went out. Anyway, I’m 73 now and not able to do too much. I bought the 1959 conv. In January of 1967 for 200 dollars. It was an impala-red with a black top. It had a 348-350 horsepower motor in it. I believe the block code was tc. It had a carter afb on it, part number 3721s which was off of a 1963 vette 327-300 horse motor. It had some rust in the rear floorboards but the rest of the car was solid. I put some thrush mufflers on it. I street raced the car very much around Durham and Hillsboro. Anyway, in September 1967 I got called up to us army. So I put the car in a barn on my grandma’s farm. When I came back from Vietnam in 1970, I went up to the farm in Hillsboro and put anew battery in it and it started right up. When I got back to Durham I began to street race the car whenever the situation arose. It had a powerglide aluminum case transmission in it and when I got that weight rolling it was almost unbeatable. Most race stories I have forgotten but once I was coming back from person county drag strip and a better got on my bumper. I hit it and pulled many car lengths from that. He would pull up on me again and I would pull away. This went on to roxboro. I know we were hitting at least 105-110 mph and this was on curvy back roads. I could not look at the speedometer because we were going too fast. But the needle was buried. You have got to have balls driving over 100 mph for extended period of time as I found out. I had been told that 348 and 409 motors were “breakers” and”boat anchors” but I can say that I have as much punishment to that 348 that I possibly could and that motor never failed me. Especially after sitting up for 3 years. I loved that car but in july1971 I bought a 1963 impala ss 409-340 horsepower with 42000 miles on it. This was a beautiful car. I put the 59 in the paper and it sold on first day. A lady with 2 kids came over and I let her have it for 150 dollars. I’ll put some pictures on here if I can figure out how. I hated to sell it but I could not afford 2cars on my salary. As far as parts ar concerned I’m not sure what I’ve got up in my garage. I know I’ve got a tach and a pair of cylinder heads that are complete number 690 and a matching aluminum intake 3814678. When I got my 63 in 1971 sometime after that , there was a guy in a local service station who had a nice 63 ss parked outfront . I went in one nite and he said he had a set of hi-perf heads and intake completely assembled. He said he bought these from a guy who had a63 409-400 wrecked. This guy said he put these on his 409-340 and it actually ran worse. They had been locked up since 1968. I gave him 100 dollars for them complete with pushrods. I have had them wrapped up in the house for 50 years. I hate that if something happens to me she will not know what they are and they will dissaper. I’ll put some more about other cars I’ve had if you are interested. James jones

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I always say that if you don't label the parts the people (your loved ones) won't know what they are or what they are worth. On the other hand if you are still kicking and want to put them up for sale then someone on here will probably buy them from you at a decent price. I have sold several sets of heads on here. We all have spare parts laying around but if you want to sell them best to do it while you are still around to get the best price for them. One of us can help you post pictures if you need help give me a buzz back.

R63ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Mr Jones,I am very interested in the stories from back in the day.I find them very entertaining.My father in law had a 60 convertible with a 350 hp 348.When he got it it had “untouchable “ stenciled across the back.That was a gorgeous car.In my opinion,it was a much better way of life back in the 60’s.Thanks for sharing.You will have no problem getting rid of your parts as long as you ask a fair price.
Rick

NCPOP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Dear east of Wilson, I sent you a message but don’t know if it went out. Anyway, I’m 73 now and not able to do too much. I bought the 1959 conv. In January of 1967 for 200 dollars. It was an impala-red with a black top. It had a 348-350 horsepower motor in it. I believe the block code was tc. It had a carter afb on it, part number 3721s which was off of a 1963 vette 327-300 horse motor. It had some rust in the rear floorboards but the rest of the car was solid. I put some thrush mufflers on it. I street raced the car very much around Durham and Hillsboro. Anyway, in September 1967 I got called up to us army. So I put the car in a barn on my grandma’s farm. When I came back from Vietnam in 1970, I went up to the farm in Hillsboro and put anew battery in it and it started right up. When I got back to Durham I began to street race the car whenever the situation arose. It had a powerglide aluminum case transmission in it and when I got that weight rolling it was almost unbeatable. Most race stories I have forgotten but once I was coming back from person county drag strip and a better got on my bumper. I hit it and pulled many car lengths from that. He would pull up on me again and I would pull away. This went on to roxboro. I know we were hitting at least 105-110 mph and this was on curvy back roads. I could not look at the speedometer because we were going too fast. But the needle was buried. You have got to have balls driving over 100 mph for extended period of time as I found out. I had been told that 348 and 409 motors were “breakers” and”boat anchors” but I can say that I have as much punishment to that 348 that I possibly could and that motor never failed me. Especially after sitting up for 3 years. I loved that car but in july1971 I bought a 1963 impala ss 409-340 horsepower with 42000 miles on it. This was a beautiful car. I put the 59 in the paper and it sold on first day. A lady with 2 kids came over and I let her have it for 150 dollars. I’ll put some pictures on here if I can figure out how. I hated to sell it but I could not afford 2cars on my salary. As far as parts ar concerned I’m not sure what I’ve got up in my garage. I know I’ve got a tach and a pair of cylinder heads that are complete number 690 and a matching aluminum intake 3814678. When I got my 63 in 1971 sometime after that , there was a guy in a local service station who had a nice 63 ss parked outfront . I went in one nite and he said he had a set of hi-perf heads and intake completely assembled. He said he bought these from a guy who had a63 409-400 wrecked. This guy said he put these on his 409-340 and it actually ran worse. They had been locked up since 1968. I gave him 100 dollars for them complete with pushrods. I have had them wrapped up in the house for 50 years. I hate that if something happens to me she will not know what they are and they will dissaper. I’ll put some more about other cars I’ve had if you are interested. James jones
I am going to come see you for sure!!!! I know the road very well from drag strip to Roxboro,,,,,you sure you weren’t running moonshine ha ha. I love the Roxboro area for one thing its almost always cooler in the summer up there than down here. Also spots and trees along Red Mountain rd look like the Mountains in west NC in the fall.

James jones

Well Known Member
Dear 1964 super stock,when I came on this site, I was kind of stunned because when I was driving these cars in the 1960’s and 1970’s they were new or used and were like new. If I needed something fixed I would go to a friends shop or the Chevrolet dealership and whatever was needed was fixed. I thought to always buy a complete car. I haven’t driven a 409 vehicle since 1980. Now I see here every one is looking for parts like taillight lenses or interior bolts etc, my experience has been driving them and keeping maintenance up and street racking them. Nobody thought of “ I’ll keep this part because in 50 years it might be worth something”. If you saw a car you liked more, you would trade it in on the newer one. I never heard the word restoration until much years later. Unless you were trying to fix up a t-model Ford or something. Trying to find parts is all foreign to me because I always bought a complete car back then. Do you know what I’m trying to say? Thanks for offering to help me with pictures- I’m going to try to put some on here. Regards James jones

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Dear 1964 super stock,when I came on this site, I was kind of stunned because when I was driving these cars in the 1960’s and 1970’s they were new or used and were like new. If I needed something fixed I would go to a friends shop or the Chevrolet dealership and whatever was needed was fixed. I thought to always buy a complete car. I haven’t driven a 409 vehicle since 1980. Now I see here every one is looking for parts like taillight lenses or interior bolts etc, my experience has been driving them and keeping maintenance up and street racking them. Nobody thought of “ I’ll keep this part because in 50 years it might be worth something”. If you saw a car you liked more, you would trade it in on the newer one. I never heard the word restoration until much years later. Unless you were trying to fix up a t-model Ford or something. Trying to find parts is all foreign to me because I always bought a complete car back then. Do you know what I’m trying to say? Thanks for offering to help me with pictures- I’m going to try to put some on here. Regards James jones
So my introduction to these cars was passing by a 1964 Impala SS for sale across the street from a friends house. I passed by the stunning car every day on my Moped for months until it sold. So sad to see it go but at the age of 14 I knew what I wanted. About a year and half later I used my detasseling money to buy my first car. The 1963 Impala 2dr hard top (I still have today) has now been in my possession for 30 years this coming Spring. My dad told me about how they used to race them in the hay day of drag racing but I couldn't afford more than gas. Back when I started on this project in Spring of 1992 I had to buy entire cars for a single part. I bought many junk cars to get a fan shroud a bumper or hood. I appreciate the aftermarket because without it we would all have lines of cars just to get our hands on the few parts we need for our runners.

NCPOP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Hi James Jones, there is a feature to private message someone. I sent one to you. You will find it at top line Inbox.
looking forward to meeting you!

James jones

Well Known Member
East of wilson, I can’t find any inbox on this site. I’ve only had this phone for 12 months so many times I am lost. My daughter is coming over this week to see if she can get into the inbox. I’m going to try to get the heads and intake in the open floor so I can take pictures of them with the part numbers. I put 9 pictures of my 59 impala on this site after being in the barn for 6 months. I put them on this site last nite. I don’t know exactly where they went but they are on here somewhere. If my daughter can’t figure out how to get in this site, I will put my e mail address on here. By the way I have heard of some guys putting 409 heads with intake on a 348 but I think only the 340 horsepower heads will fit. It seems to me that with the 400 and 425 horsepower 409 heads put on a 348, the valves will hit the top of the pistons. I’m not sure. I believe the 409-340 horsepower heads are the same as the 348 -350 hi perf heads. I’m not positive about any of this. Maybe one of the guys on this site might know this. Regards, James jones