1964 C10 Project

Tim

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Sorry everyone I’ve been off for a while. Sick with pneumonia for 3 weeks, Christmas and family so time seemed to be a commodity.
I thought I’d start this thread as a long term thread for my 64 C10.
Finally got it home, it didn’t start, brakes didn’t work, transmission stuck in gear
Hooked a battery up, put gas down the carb and some in the tank. After a few tries it starts and runs!
Brakes were the linkage, got that freed up and they work no leaks
Trans was the 3 on the tree. It was a circus mess and seized. Got it all freed up, put the column back together the was it’s supposed to and everything works fine. Shifts and goes in reverse.
The whole project needs love but it will take time.
Yes Tooth it’s getting a Big Block! It will be a 496 with a 700R4

Attachments

• 06874C90-01D5-4609-A50F-304DA9E4DF14.jpeg
    06874C90-01D5-4609-A50F-304DA9E4DF14.jpeg
    106.5 KB · Views: 23
  • AC431E4A-E3EB-4D70-951A-B84AC47104FE.jpeg
    AC431E4A-E3EB-4D70-951A-B84AC47104FE.jpeg
    114.3 KB · Views: 22

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Sorry everyone I’ve been off for a while. Sick with pneumonia for 3 weeks, Christmas and family so time seemed to be a commodity.
I thought I’d start this thread as a long term thread for my 64 C10.
Finally got it home, it didn’t start, brakes didn’t work, transmission stuck in gear
Hooked a battery up, put gas down the carb and some in the tank. After a few tries it starts and runs!
Brakes were the linkage, got that freed up and they work no leaks
Trans was the 3 on the tree. It was a circus mess and seized. Got it all freed up, put the column back together the was it’s supposed to and everything works fine. Shifts and goes in reverse.
The whole project needs love but it will take time.
Yes Tooth it’s getting a Big Block! It will be a 496 with a 700R4
Always loved the look of those trucks! :good

427John

Well Known Member
I was under the impression that the 250 didn't come out until later and that in 64 the 6 cylinder choices were the 230 and 292.

Reactions: Tim

Tim

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
I was under the impression that the 250 didn't come out until later and that in 64 the 6 cylinder choices were the 230 and 292.
You’re right John, no 250’s in 64. According to records they came in 66. This one is a 230. I found a build sheet for it. Not sure ration until I take the cover off. Tag a marks not readable.

Tim

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
For C10's with a 6 3.73 gears were pretty common.And I think 64 was the 1st year of the truck 12 bolt but it had the 17 spline axles to begin with,they didn't go to 30 spline until 65 or 66.
I’ll have to take the cover off and have a look. I’m going to change the axles to 5 bolt and put a posi in it. Any luck at all it will have 3:73 and not much wear so I can use the ring and pinion

Tim

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Well after a too long hiatus I’m back, work, Covid twice, (travelled twice).
Sorry I haven’t been here in that long it just seems like time evaporates faster than I want it to
I haven’t done anything with the truck and the heads for the engine build are still on the bench but now I’m making time for me
In the last few months I sold my Impala, a guy offered what I wanted and away it went. Freed up money for the truck
Sold the Pontiac I had and we decided to sell the international truck as a coowner project(too much time and money for what it would be worth)
I did however pick up a Willy’s engine project for Don J’s buddy Abe. Interesting engines with valve train in the block. Giving that a complete rebuild for his jeep restoration project.
My 64 truck project will be a long one. But hoping for a 3 year turn around.