1964 impala ss

augie2490

Hi I have a 1964 impala ss and I was wondering if anyone could tell me how i can find out if my car came with a 409 it does not have an engine in it. I was told there was not a way to tell. What i do know is that cars that came with a big block have 3/8 inch gas line which this one does have. I also have another 64 ss impala that has the original 327 with a 3-speed and it has a 5/16 inch gas line so i dont know if any one knows can you help me please. the trim tag says -style 64 1447 slo3625 acc- w2msr3c5v thanks.

pg409

Well Known Member
My 63 327cu in Impala had a 3/8"fuel line. Check your tank sender for a return
line, which may have been removed. Also, a ballast resistor was used on 409 cars
as small blocks had a resistor wire. There are other nuances which others, I am sure, will post.

Keith

blumun53

Well Known Member
Here's what I saw in these cars. The size of the fuel lines seemingly were determined by the engine/trans/horsepower configuration of the vehicle, not necessarily the engine size. The 64 SS I was well aquainted with had a 327/300hp4spd and it had the large fuel line, but no return line. A female friend of mine actually had a 64 SS with a 283/auto. Strange. It probably had the small fuel line. All the 63 and 64 409 cars I've seen all had the return line from the fuel pump to the sender unit, as has already been mentioned. The small block fuel pumps usually weren't equipped with the return line outlet. I've seen ballast resistors on small-block original cars, but it's very possible they had been installed by someone trying to fix a problem he couldn't find! The fuel sender is your best bet...if it also hasn't been changed. Good luck with your car, I hope it's a 409er.:)

Old School

Supporting Member 1
Hi I have a 1964 impala ss and I was wondering if anyone could tell me how i can find out if my car came with a 409 it does not have an engine in it. I was told there was not a way to tell. What i do know is that cars that came with a big block have 3/8 inch gas line which this one does have. I also have another 64 ss impala that has the original 327 with a 3-speed and it has a 5/16 inch gas line so i dont know if any one knows can you help me please. the trim tag says -style 64 1447 slo3625 acc- w2msr3c5v thanks.

Augie: Look for the return fuel line.. It’s 1/4" steel line on the passenger side fire wall. It runs down to the inside frame rail and joins the fuel line. You can also check the gas tank sending unit for the 1/4" line entering the top of the sending unit.

Good luck.

DaveFoster

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Wouldn't a 64 also have a small reinforcement bracket at the frame side of the upper third link rearend. I've been told by another 64 409 owner that they came out in late 63 model 409's and all 64 409's. Somebody here would know for sure.