1965 impala interchangeable disc brakes?

fastcars

Well Known Member
I'm going to start restoring my 65 conv impala. I'm going to be doing a full frame off restoration. I figured while the car is apart, I can do brake work. I want to convert to disc brakes. Is there a car that has disc brakes that are interchangeable and will bolt right up to my car?

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
I'm going to start restoring my 65 conv impala. I'm going to be doing a full frame off restoration. I figured while the car is apart, I can do brake work. I want to convert to disc brakes. Is there a car that has disc brakes that are interchangeable and will bolt right up to my car?
I'm not sure about easy interchangeability but I would like to have a 65 convertible for a dream project of mine. I'll put up with your drum brakes if you don't find a replacement:roll :roll :roll :D :D
robert

oh, send pictures

bobs409

Administrator
The way I always heard it to be is 1967-70 will bolt on. 1967/68 is a 4 piston caliper and 69/70 is a single piston.

Tip: All 1970 Caprice cars came standard with disc brakes so if you know of any in a junkyard, it should have 'em. :deal

Rockfish39

Supporting Member 1
Give the man a cigar!

Bob's right on...

Just a few pitfalls you may encounter when making such a change

#1) '69-'70 rotors ARE NOT readily available. They are 12" DIA and are hard to find in usable condition. CPP is the only source that I've found for new ones, and they aren't cheap

#2) Master Power makes a sweet booster/master cylinder combo that works really well. Just make sure that you adjust your pedal height accordingly. Changing to a disk brake setup requires almost twice as much pedal travel and you will bottom out if you dont make this correction.

#3) If you don't get your front end re-aligned after changing spindles, you will be eating front tires... Guaranteed!

Good Luck!

Rock :cool:

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
You can also install a bolt on bracket kit to your stock drum spindles, 11" rotors with big GM single piston caliper.

fastcars

Well Known Member
I'm going to be buying this setup from someone who already removed it from a 1970 Impala. He only has this: power booster,proportioning valve,spindles,calipers,rotors. Is there anything missing?

Rockfish39

Supporting Member 1
Missing pieces of the puzzle

I'm going to be buying this setup from someone who already removed it from a 1970 Impala. He only has this: power booster,proportioning valve,spindles,calipers,rotors. Is there anything missing?

1) master cylinder
2) rotor dust sheilds
3) brake line distribution block that bolts to the frame (you'll need that too)
4) all the brake lines that go from the master cylinder to the '70 distribution block

That should do it for you

Good Luck

:cool:

Tic's60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3

You might want to contact 58 Delivery on his brake kits and do a comparrision on the time and effort compared to one of his nice kits.
Used brakes will require a complete rebuild, pads, seals, etc. where a kit won't.
Plus he knows brakes...