283 PG to 348 4sp conversion in my '58 Impala

Rolf

I am collecting parts for this conversion.

I have so far:

1958 348 motor
Tri-power set up
1958 Bellhousing
B/W T-10 trans

Is it easy to source a flywheels? Are they the same as Chev small/big block?
How about a clutch fork?

My car is currently a power steering car, but I would like to convert to the 605 box. If so, I would need brackets/pulleys for the new pump. Does any one repop them?

Any thoughts of wisdom? Pros and cons?

Thanks

Impalaguru

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Hey Rolf and welcome!!
Not sure about the 605, but flywheels and clutches will be easy! You need a 168 flywheel for an INTERNALLY balanced chevy. I think I bought one for my old 63 SS for about 120.00 (new). Clutch can be had at any parts store. I would think that any good parts store could get both for you.
You'll also need a different starter but that shouldn't be too tough to find. Again, check at the parts store. If you have the original bell housing, you'll need the type with the cast iron nose, that bolts to the bell housing. I found a starter for my old 409 at the parts store.
Best of luck!!
Ross

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I got a 605 conversion kit with brackets for the 348/409 from Late Great Chevys. The brackets that mount the pump to the block are okay, I guess, but they don't really fit perfectly. Also the pully that comes with the kit wouldn't line up so I had to get another one. This was a few years ago when the 605 conversion kit for W motors was new so they may be better now.

Rolf

Thanks, all good info, sounds like the rest of the parts will be easy. NAPA to the rescue...

Would the starter from the 348 PG combo fit the stick bellhousing?

W Head

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
starter

Rolf, If you wish to use your PG starter, just get a later model starter nose with the off set bolt holes and it will bolt up to your 348 block. Make sure the flex plate for the PG had 168 teeth or you will have to change starter solinoid. (I belive it does have 168 teeth). I don"t remember how a starter bolts to a PG, but if it has the bolts that goes through the nose of the starter through the PG belhousing, it should bolt to the standard housing. Or you can use a small gear reduction starter that bolts to the block that will really spend the old 348 over. I have one on my 348 and 409 and it works great, also moves the starter away fron the exhaust. I have been getting mine from C&P Auto Electric in Moore Okla. (405) 799-2083. They are rebuilt GM. Paid $100.00 for each of mine and have had no problems. Good luck!

W Head
59 El Camino 348-3,2s
59 Impala 409-2,4s