3 different trunks for 65 Impala?

fastcars

Well Known Member
Hi, I have a 65 convertible impala I'm restoring. It has a trunk already but it does have a little bit of rust eating through. Nothing major just a dime size. I can fix it but if I could, I'd like to buy a cleaner one. To my knowledge, the 4 door impala trunk will fit because they are the same. The 2 door SS hardtop will not because its short on all sides. Is there a 3rd trunk? I have another trunk that supposedly came from a 4 door but when I installed it, it was hanging out, like and overbite, about 2 inches. Could this be from a 2 door Caprice or something?

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Are you refering to the trunk LID?
At first I thought you meant you were replacing the trunk (bottom) due to a dime size hole, that would be crazy

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
could be 4

2dr and 4dr sedan
fastback
convert
Caprice/Custom

lot of roofs 65-70

fastcars

Well Known Member
Are you refering to the trunk LID?
At first I thought you meant you were replacing the trunk (bottom) due to a dime size hole, that would be crazy

Yes, I'm refering to the Trunk Deck Lid. I do have a little damage on the driver side quarter panel, just on the corner. It was hit and the dent went in about almost 2 inches. I was thinking the trunk or even the whole rear of the car shifted inward, but it seems like if the trunk would bend inward, it would only be on one side, but when I put the supposed 4 door trunk, it was evenly gaped.

blown 409

Well Known Member
i can tell ya from expiriance 4 dr ht wont fit 2dr ht, only made 4 dr caprice in 65, i have some extra 65 stuff if you need somthing else, Tim

62BillT

Well Known Member
To my knowledge, the 4 door impala trunk will fit because they are the same. The 2 door SS hardtop will not because its short on all sides. Is there a 3rd trunk? I have another trunk that supposedly came from a 4 door but when I installed it, it was hanging out, like and overbite, about 2 inches. Could this be from a 2 door Caprice or something?

I had always known it to be that there were only 2 different size trunk lids in '65. The 2-Dr Hardtop and all others.

But remember there were different styles (Some 2 lights others 1 light per side).

If you find out something different, be sure to let us know.

bobs409

Administrator
Ok, I can help on this one, looking in the Hollanders manual now. There are 3 different ones: Biscayne & Belair, Impala 2 door hardtop, and exc. Impala 2 door hardtop.

The 4 door trunk lid will be correct for your convertible, they share the same lid.

Bob