3 x 2 carb questions

entourageguy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I'm working on this 348 with the 3 x 2 and am having a problem with the carb part #'s for rebuid kits.
I've got these #'s off the inside of the float bowl lid
All 3 have a 56 in the date circle and the 7008594 comes back on the internet as a pontiac tri-power 57-58.
The other # I have not been able to find. Napa can't find these in any rochester books.
Is there somewhere else on the body to look for #'s?
I just want to go thru them to clean them inside aftere 18 years of sitting. Are ther kits that will supply me with the gaskets and such?

thanks Brian

Jim409_Pontiac

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I'm working on this 348 with the 3 x 2 and am having a problem with the carb part #'s for rebuid kits.
All 3 have a 56 in the date circle and the 7008594 comes back on the internet as a pontiac tri-power 57-58.
The other # I have not been able to find. Napa can't find these in any rochester books.
I just want to go thru them to clean them inside aftere 18 years of sitting. Are ther kits that will supply me with the gaskets and such?

thanks Brian

You might try these guys . Just found them on the web. In the faq page they tell you how to identify your carbs.

http://www.hotrodcarbs.com/faq.php

1960impala283

Well Known Member
When I ordered kits from my local auto supply, the kits had everything for any "2GC " ever made. There where triples of some gaskets with minor differences, about 6 different base gaskets ect... lots of parts left over.

entourageguy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
thanks Jim
the only thing I saw on that site was the identifier for small or large base carbs. Mine are the 2 5/8" small base.

entourageguy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
When I ordered kits from my local auto supply, the kits had everything for any "2GC " ever made. There where triples of some gaskets with minor differences, about 6 different base gaskets ect... lots of parts left over.

Any part # for the kit or what you asked for?

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2

I used Wells Part # CK217D Made in USA

entourageguy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Wells Part # CK217D Made in USA worked out for me it crossed over to a napa # and I got my kits. Lots of extra parts I guess to cover different models of 2 bbls. I've got 1 rebuilt and heading out to strip down #2.

409z28

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2

thanks Brian

Brian, call Daytona parts, ask for Gina, tell her Mike in Louisana said to call 386-427-7108. The absoloute best in parts for carbs, Been using them for years to do my work. Mike

1960impala283

Well Known Member
The accelerator pumps in the Hygrade kits are junk. The cups invert and come off or get twisted up. There are no springs inside them like the originals, and the cup seems to be very soft and swollen. I'm not sure if this is due to ethanol or just poor quality. I have to rebuild all the carbs... again:bang

larry t

Well Known Member
The accelerator pumps in the Hygrade kits are junk. The cups invert and come off or get twisted up. There are no springs inside them like the originals, and the cup seems to be very soft and swollen. I'm not sure if this is due to ethanol or just poor quality. I have to rebuild all the carbs... again:bang

I've used Standard Hygrade kits for 30 years without a quality problem. I think I'll blame the problem on ethanol. I guess it works ok on fuel injected cars, but it sure gives me headaches on anything with a carb on it. I'm fighting a 54 Corvette with 3 sidedraft Carters right now. Ethanol has destroyed everything from the fuel tank through the carbs.
I sure would recommend finding a source for ethanol free gas for everyone, if at all possible. It's not like the gas we used to get, but it is head and shoulders above what comes out of most pumps today.

1960impala283

Well Known Member
I never had a problem with Hygrade kits before. The tripower I put together for a friend has two failed accelerator pumps. I was over looking at it today. Not good, I've done three sets in the last year... Ethanol is here to stay, I will have to find a product that will stand up to it.

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Jon at the Carburetor Shop has good kits with leather acc pumps, I assume he has them for these carbs.

Don