348-409 Hei

3483x2

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Wallowing thru all the jargon here, :cuss I'm one of them newbie's who has an interest in the possibility of installing an HEI system. It's such a bummer the show cars offering doesn't support 3X2's. :cry (at least not without any modifications to the distributer or my intake either of which I have no interest in)
That understood, I guess my best alternative is to get my existing distributer converted to get that solid spark and preserve it's vintage appearance. Yes?
If so, who's the best to do such a task? :dunno Thanks

3483x2

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
SS409HP, Awesome! I did a google search on his email monikor before and found the site...
Dond409, Thanks for posting the link in case others are looking to do the same.

Exactly what I'm looking for. :D
Can't say I completely follow the differences between his offerings, but it looks like I'm a candidate for the MSD trigger conversion. I know more after I get his reply to my message.
Either way, this is the way I'm going to go.
Thanks Gentlemen. :bow

Dond409

Supporting Member 1
hei

Dave will set up the advance curve for your combination. And also set the vacuum advance to you car. He is very good at what he does. You will be very satisfied with his product.

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Dave`s standard HEI set-up (for lack of a better word) works as a stand alone, as in just wire it up and it works.
It even looks stock as all the HEI stuff is under a stock dist cap using a remote coil.
The MSD trigger unit needs the MSD unit .
That is what I`m using with the MSD 6AL.

Either way you will get a great unit !! ,dq

dave62

Well Known Member
I hate to burst anyone's bubble but I called Dave a few weeks ago. He was kind and informative but he ABSOLUELY would have nothing to do with touching another 409 distributor. He claimed that he had been accused of using this web site for his own personal gain and didn't want people thinking that was his motive. He was more than willing to tell me anything I wanted to know about my options and would be glad to assist me over the phone but refused to touch my distributor. :dunno

W Head

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
Dave refused to work on my dist also, because I was a member of this site. I went with the Pertronix conversion.:scratch

W Head

59 El Camino 348-3,2s
59 Impala 409-2,4s

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
that's the way to go

Crane also offer a solid state conversion. As long as bushings and shaft are good, should have no problems.

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I guess Ignitionman is a man of his word. He said, actually he ranted that he would have nothing to do with any of our members again. I have noticed his name as being -logged in - many times since then. If he dislikes us so much, what is his interest in our web-site? :dunno

chevymusclecars

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Interesting that he takes the time to log in all the time but wants nothing to do with the people on this site. I thought maybe he had an interest in the 409 but looking through his post you see nothing where he talked about the 409, any engine discussion was to do with Pontiacs. I couldn't see where anyone accused him of using the site for personal gain but do see that his personal page advertises that he is an "ignition system manufacture"? I'm sure there must be other people out there do the same thing and hopefully one of you that wants a electonic ignition will run accross them.

Russ348

Well Known Member
3483x2 said:
Wallowing thru all the jargon here, :cuss I'm one of them newbie's who has an interest in the possibility of installing an HEI system. It's such a bummer the show cars offering doesn't support 3X2's. :cry (at least not without any modifications to the distributer or my intake either of which I have no interest in)
That understood, I guess my best alternative is to get my existing distributer converted to get that solid spark and preserve it's vintage appearance. Yes?
If so, who's the best to do such a task? :dunno Thanks

Now I am confused:dunno Does the MSD's part #8393 distributor specific for
the 348-409 work with the intake manifold that supports the 3x2's.

Russ R.

Russ348

Well Known Member
fatride said:
Without a doubt the MSD ready to run dist. will fit with the three twos.

Thanks for the replys. I have both the distributor and 3x2 manifold, just neither one installed YET.:cheers