348-409 mini-meet? Please read.

61 vert

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I spent the day at a car show with the owner of the collection that I posted some pics of a couple of weeks ago.See post at bottom of page.I may have convinced him to host a car show next July(2008) during Summerfest.(a celebration in town).I would possibly like to try to have a 348-409 mini-meet as part of the show.I think that the 348-409 cars and maybe all 58 to 65 Impalas etc. could have there own show area and awards.Plenty of room on the Golf course adjoining the museum for lots of cars.This is in central Iowa about 3 miles off of I-35 and 8 miles north of the junction of I-35 and I-80.Town of Ankeny,for those of you who want to Mapquest.
Is there any interest of the forum members here in attending a show like this and has it been done before?
I would be open for ideas for a cruise the night before, or other activities for the forum members during this event to make it a little more worthwhile.As far as a dragstrip close that could be rented,I don't think that that is an option, although I could do some cking.Newton speedway has 1/8th mile test and tune /grudge racing everyother Friday nite this year but I do not know the schedule for next year.It is about 30 miles away.$20 and make as many laps as you want.Track prep is minimal and maybe even nonexistant.
Please chime in here guys with a yea or nay so I know if I need to pursue this thing or let it slide. Thanks, Andy..

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
I would consider looking into it even though I think it is a two full day tow for us on the coast
Robert

61 vert

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Wow

Thanks for responding.I was a bit surprised at 80 views until someone replied.I expected the midwest members to chime right in.Maybe this will get the ball rolling?
How important is the drag strip availability?What kind of judging?participant,spectator,professional?Is the trophy most important,or the BSing and just looking at everyones cars.I am just trying to get a feel for what the majority of the forum members like to see, even if this show is to far to attend. Help me out here guys!
This will be a benefit show, most likely for the Make-A-Wish Foundation,sending terminally ill children on a trip wherever they want to go.
Is there another big meet or reunion around mid July that this is in direct competition with?
The Des Moines Good Guys Event at the Iowa State Fairgrounds is the weekend before Summerfest weekend.Only 15 miles away.Maybe combining the two shows would help justify a longer haul. Good Guys is 1972 and earlier at this event and draws 3000 plus cars.
Speak up,Don't be shy.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Hopefully!

Andy, I think you've got a good idea there, stick with it!

I would like to say I could be there, and I am easily within driving distance (Columbia, MO), but July is always spotty for me. So long as I "calendar" the date early I can generally protect things, but then I should be going to Columbus, OH this weekend (but I am not :().

It would be fun to include an eighth mile track (or longer!) and we seem to be able to have a pretty good time around those sorts of events. I'm not a big "show and shine" guy, just like to drive nice 409 cars, but others might be interested in judging and such. I just like to oogle other people's cars and see the results of their efforts, as it makes me want to put more time into my own projects :).

Good luck in your planning and keep us posted.

Mike-Casella

Supporting Member 1
Mid July is about the time we are out in the Iowa area anyway, this just might be something I'd be interested in. I may have to limit my cruising though, my car gets roughly 10 gallons to the mile. Now if it were held at a drag strip..... hmmmm

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Mid July is about the time we are out in the Iowa area anyway, this just might be something I'd be interested in. I may have to limit my cruising though, my car gets roughly 10 gallons to the mile. Now if it were held at a drag strip..... hmmmm

Mike. You could do one heck of a lawn job....:roll :roll :roll

That would be a bit of a stretch for me but it sounds like a good idea.

tripowerguy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Iowa is a short haul and I would love to see all those Chevies that guy has. He is going to let people see his collection isn't he? A year from now is Ok to plan for. I wanted to go to Norwalk this year but I can't. And at my age I don't buy green bananas. I really like to see guys from this forum because they are fun to be around. So keep planning and I'm sure that it will come off. I would really like to go to Norwalk next year. :beerbang Roy

61 vert

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Keep on posting you guys.

If this does come together,yes, the private collection in the museum will be open for viewing the day of the show. It is on the same grounds as the golf course where the show will take place.In fact, the show is in front of the entrance to the museum,although there has been some talk of parking the 58 to 65 Impala guys on the cart path all the way around the hole # 19 pond.This would make for some fantastic photographic moments.I will take some pics of the grounds and get them up next week.
Please keep leeting me know what you think .I ck. this post 3 or 4 times a day. Andy.

Astro409

Well Known Member
Hauling cars that way

I plan to start hauling cars to the MI, Indiana, Il area and I could haul my car that way and just drop in on the even.:beerbang Damn, my plans sound good on paper(screen) but may be alittle harder to make them possible.:rolleyes: But sounds good.

Impalaguru

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Guys,
The collection is something to see!!! And it is at a nice facility.
You can count me in , Andy!!!
Ross

Tony Salins

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
348-409 mini-meet

Don't get me wrong. We like cars shows as much as the next guy, but to travel a ways without being able to race is very difficult for us to do. We personally are not happy with Norwalk because the Blue Suede Cruise is just a car show and nothing more. In Norwalk's own words, the track will not be prepared for racing. So if you have any power at all, trying to race on that track will be very dangerous.

We would like to see a meeting at a location where we could race on a well prepared track and show cars for those who only want to show. The gathering doesn't necessarily have to be at a drag strip, but one close by that would welcome us and allow us to race each other as a group would be excellent. Because of our son graduating from high school, we weren't able to participate in the Clay City get together that Fred had put together. We will regret missing that forever. Those of you that were there and raced each other know that that is the best. We think it is better when our get together is a get together of our cars and not just a small part of a larger car show. We used to race at the Grove as our home track until we moved to Oklahoma. They had been willing to accomodate groups like ours as long as their schedule permitted. One of the owners at the Grove belongs to Midwest Gassers club. It probably wouldn't be very hard to put together a weekend of both Midwest Gassers and 348-409.com group. The Grove is just a thought. We would probably travel just about anywhere if it was a race between our site members. We would be willing to assist in a project of this nature.

Tony and Bonnie

61 vert

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Racing

I will have to make a few phone calls. The closest track is 30 miles away, but test and tune only with no track prep. But, Eddyville dragway,1/8th mile, is about 60 miles away and they have a friday nite high school, test and tune and a regular Saturday program. It may be possible to get the track for Friday with the car show the day after(saturday).Is this something that would appeal to a number of you, and how about letting the tri-fives come out and play if they want?
Let me know what you guys all think. Andy.

Mike-Casella

Supporting Member 1
We're heading out to Eddyville in a couple of weeks. We were there last year for the first time, and that track is absolutely picture perfect. I could post some pictures of the place if anyone wants to see what the place looks like.

Speed

Supporting Member 1
Ankeny Iowa..Home of the most beautiful Chevy Store on the planet...Karl Chevrolet (Carl Moyer)...former owner & architect of Eddyville Drag Strip.
I'll bet Carl would get involved if asked.
Good Luck Mike in Eddyville...Drag List Nat'ls. 7/13-14
I'd be there...but York...(smile)

61 vert

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Eddyville Raceway

Just got off the phone with the track manager of Eddyville raceway.He is very open to the idea of renting the track,either Friday afternoon before their regular program at 5:30 or Sunday.Track prep should be excellant either way.Was unable to get me a price though, at this time.I am guessing it will take a minimum of 30 cars to be able to pull this off. Will now more next week about cost.
You guys that are starting to perk your ears a little,speak up.Andy.
Tony: What are your thoughts on interest and # of cars attending?

Tony Salins

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Eddyville

We've always wanted to race at Eddyville when we lived in the Chicago area. We do have a friend that has an uncle that lives very close to the drag strip and has spent summers with him. He remembers when the track was built and has raced there. He also says it's a wonderful track, all concrete. I'm not sure how many cars would show up. My guess would be around 20 from this site. Keep in mind that a lot of the racers here race at many functions throughout the summer. We would have to schedule it for a weekend that was free of other committments. Someone suggested including tri 5s. I would probably consider also inviting Midwest Gassers. I guess our thought is not so much renting the track but having a big enough show that the track would promote a weekend event to pull in spectators. Of course we would pay an entry fee but I think the track could pull in a crowd of spectators with the right promotion. We are also anxious to hear from others and get their feelings on this idea.

rstreet,

We can get you to Union Grove, WI without having to drive through the city. You'll get to see a few of the suburbs but you won't have to drive through the city. We lived there all of our lives and NEVER enjoyed driving downtown.:roll :roll

Tony and Bonnie Salins