348 advice

darylbrewer

Hi All. My Name Is Daryl And It Looks Like You Guys Have A Great Site Here. Anyway I Just Purchased My First 'w' Motor, A 1958 348 250hp Version. The Heads Have Been Redone But Nothing Done With The Bottom End. Crank Turns Fine. The Cam Has Been Pulled And Can See No Scoring On Bearing Journals Of Cam But Looks Like Scoring On Cam Bearings In The Block. Maybe When The Guy Pulled It He Was'nt Real Careful With The Distributor Drive Gear On The Cam. Anyway, How Can I Tell If The Motor Has Had A Rebuild? Would Bearings Or Anything Be Stamped? Also Does Anybody Know A Shop In The Chicago Area Capable Of Machine Work And Rebuilding Of The "w" Motors. Thanks Guys

tripowerguy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Send Models a PM and I'm sure he can help you. He is in your area and he has lots of experience with the engines. Welcome aboard. :clap Roy

W Head

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
welcome

Welcome to the site. :clap If the engine has been bored, pistons should be stamped on top .20-.30 ect. and if the crank has been turned, the bearings should be stamped on the bottom side .10-.20 ect.

W Head

59 El Camino 348-3,2s
59 Impala 409-2,4s