348 engine to 380 in 55 Chevy

GreenEyez93274

Well Known Member
Curious as to how you are measuring. Is the deck height been milled further on one side than the other? Also when you rotate the crank to position each piston are you trying to use the timing tab on the harmonic balancer? Just wondering.
Block been decked twice. Once from the machine shop I originally took it to. The next machine shop wouldn't back anything the other machined did. I know it been decked because the front suffix stamping is gone now. When I first got it backed from 1st machine shop. I could still see the suffix code. Right side of engine looks to milled further down by my measurements.

Murphdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
If the machine shops were just cutting the deck to insure it was flat and NOT measuring the height it could easily be off .005 from 1 side to the other. That much difference in a stock uncut deck would not surprise me.
Jeff

Murphdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
If your tallest piston is .006 out of the hole do Like Don says use a .040 + head gasket and call it good.
If its's going to keep you up at night take those tall ones to your machine shop and have them resize the rods again. Tell them what's up.
The piston/rod that is .006 out of the hole, they need to cut .006 off of both, the rod & the cap. When they hone it back to size it should be close to zero. I had a Pontiac rod that was .020 something short years ago because someone had cut the crap out of it trying to save it. Needless to say it got tossed!
Jeff

GreenEyez93274

Well Known Member
Run an .040 head gasket and call it good at this point.
If your tallest piston is .006 out of the hole do Like Don says use a .040 + head gasket and call it good.
If its's going to keep you up at night take those tall ones to your machine shop and have them resize the rods again. Tell them what's up.
The piston/rod that is .006 out of the hole, they need to cut .006 off of both, the rod & the cap. When they hone it back to size it should be close to zero. I had a Pontiac rod that was .020 something short years ago because someone had cut the crap out of it trying to save it. Needless to say it got tossed!
Jeff
I agree with both of you. I'm just gonna run .040 head gaskets can call it good. I'm tired of taking it to two places and spending too much money that was unnecessary.