348 Oil Filter Adapter

Geary Trussell

Well Known Member
I have used the die cast spin on adapters and had small cracks (easy to crack during installation) that caused leaks, If i ever buy another one it will be a solid billet unit.

Gold348

Haven’t seen that one. I used Show cars 3222A with the 3222 bypass valve. No issues.

John

Thanks for the recommendation!

Do you know the adapter's thread size for the spin-on filter? (e.g., 13/16"-16, 3/4"-16, etc...)

'37-4D

Well Known Member
Thanks, 37-4D. Can you explain the pluses and minuses for not having the factory bypass and using Ford-style filters?
The adapter without the bypass uses a Ford filter with a built in bypass I believe. Some find this version less prone to leaking.
Maybe @Don Jacks can shed more light here. :unsure:
Here is a hint though that happened to me and a few others from what I've read:
Make absolutely certain the engine-stand mounting bolts aren't too long so as to not damage the adapter due to the tip of the bolt being longer than necessary! You will leak!!!

Gold348

Yes, keep the canister

@1958 delivery I currently have a spin-on adapter, but believe it's the culprit for a leak I'm having. It was on the engine when I got it, so not sure what it is. The engine is in a boat, so the adapter is not easy to get to or look at. I also have clearance issues with the bottom of the hull to contend with, so compact size is important. I plan on pulling the current adapter to see what's in there and wanted to prepare for possibly replacing it, so created this thread. If you know of any good spin-on adapters, I'd appreciate any recommendations. Thanks.

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
Last edited:

Gold348

Another option I have is to get rid of the adapters entirely and go back to using a canister filter like the engine was designed to use. Anyone using a canister filter? Any recommendations?

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
If I take a look around, I bet I can find my original canister and pieces from my 348 car.
I wonder if that would work for a boat?

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
If I take a look around, I bet I can find my original canister and pieces from my 348 car.
I wonder if that would work for a boat?
As long as there is room in the area, it should work great. It is taller/longer and would hold more oil.

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Looks like the one I have is 6.75 in length, with the top 3/8th or so in the block:
16246702744676104996208572831775.jpg