348 stroker build for chevy truck...

truck4canuk

thanks 1960... Hamilton eh?!? we will have to try to get intouch some time!!
I am not sure that the cam isnt 'rare' enough that I may have the only one!!
I am quite sure that the motor was 'thrown' together...
... you know of any good machine shops in our area?!?

truck4canuk

I guess I should figure out how to move this thread to the 348/409 engine area of the forum...

I have had the opportunity to talk with Aubery a bit and get some ideas from him on where i could take this build...
I wonder if anyone else has any suggestions...? this will be my first build - ever... I havea very good friend who has lots of experience with pontiac, and he will (hopefully) be helping / guiding alot... he also has made suggestions... I guess I am still trying to weed my way thru all the info and possibilities...

truck4canuk

I havent done much else this week, have some family problems taking me to the hospital rather than going to the garage!
the block is going in for it's checkup next week.

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
At least wrap the tape in the direction of rotation so it won't come un-wound! Everybody knows that.

1960impala283

Well Known Member
thanks 1960... Hamilton eh?!? we will have to try to get intouch some time!!
I am not sure that the cam isnt 'rare' enough that I may have the only one!!
I am quite sure that the motor was 'thrown' together...
... you know of any good machine shops in our area?!?

Yes I know of a couple good shops, and a couple bad ones too... I sent you PM

truck4canuk

So.... New question.... I have reviewed the interchange list that is on this site.... Are bellhousings interchangeable at all?

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Depends, the old small block stuff will fit the W's with some exceptions, you just need one for a 168 tooth flywheel or flexplate. It depends on what BH you are looking at- tell us which one. Small blocks starting in 63 used 153 tooth flywheels.

Don

truck4canuk

So I go the WORST possible news today.... The block is toast!!! There is a crack in the cylinder wall that goes right thru to the lifter bore.... So not only was the motor missing the cam bearings, but now I know that I was completly screwed by the jack-arse that "sold" me the motor....

Yes...right now I am more than slightly upset, but I am not going to do anything too hasty...

I have some parts that have some value, but I still think that the truck/engine combo would be real cool...

Any comments /suggestions would be deserved/welcomed....

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Sorry to learn of your findings. On the bright side, here in the U.S. we can find 348 blocks at pretty low cost. Sometimes $100 to $300. That would be a good one that was crack checked. You might consider hunting about, you'd be surprised what might pop up. It may take some time, so don't be in a hurry.

Good luck!
TomK

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
I agree with Tom,it took me about 4 months to find mine,but I wound up with a short block,2 heads,and 2 exhaust manifolds for 350.00.They are out there,good luck.

truck4canuk

There was a 409 truck engine listed on kijiji out of London you might check on.
I did have a look --there are actually two ads -- I think it is the same engine -- listed the head #'s for the block # in one post... I have sent a msg. so we will see....

I have an aquaintance who dirves 'cirle cars' AND works at a GM dealership. Got the crate motor book from him, and did some research on built and warranted motors... at his cost!!
Then got the latest Hot Rod mag, and ended back up right here -- there's very few engines that wouldbe cooler than a 348/409 in my truck... so here we go - again!!!

truck4canuk

so it is now a year later, and one of the things I have learned is how 'expensive' learning can be!!

My 'luck' actually drove me away from the idea of a 'w' motor... I have seen lost of crates and LS engines... but guess were I am again... yep you guessed it...

A year to mellow and enjoy the truck has changed my focus... Drivability has become a whole lot more important for me than raw power.

So... here I am... back at square one looking for a 'w' that is built and ready (since I not have no tome to build for myself) and an overdrive tranny to put behind it...

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
There are a couple of 3-2 ,348's complete [most likly 280hp] on e-bay as we speak.These could make a smooth cruiser engine.[I'd change cams.:crazy]

truck4canuk

I am not (yet) willing to give up on the 348 for the ol'girl...I have a potential 348 close to home, I would like to exhaust this option before I get rid of anything else... 303Radar, maybe later....