348 stuck..

neilswheels

Well Known Member
It’s been a while since I’ve been on here, but I’m still plugging away at my 40. Today I pulled the 348 because I couldn’t turn it over. I was hoping that it was an issue with interference between the flywheel/ bell housing, or an issue with the T5 input shaft, maybe tight against the crank, but now it’s out, and it still doesn’t move, well, maybe 1/2 inch on the flywheel, but that’s it.
I’m green to v8’s, but To try and see what’s happened, I’ve been advised to take the timing chain off, and see if the crank and cam turn independently, hoping that this will isolate the issue, ie, if the crank turns, the cam / valve train may be the problem, likewise, if the cams ok but not the crank...
So, ‘googling’ this, I’ve read there’s a ‘special’ harmonic balancer puller, is this correct, or can I use a regular 2 or 3 arm puller?
Just for the record, this is in theory a fully rebuilt motor that I bought, but it has been standing for over 10 years, covered in my garage and then in the car. Thanks

Attachments

• 44302AD9-ED49-416F-A23F-85FE505B1087.jpeg
    44302AD9-ED49-416F-A23F-85FE505B1087.jpeg
    43.5 KB · Views: 30

38Chevy

Well Known Member
Sounds like moisture may have gotten into a cylinder or two and caused piston to stick. I’d pour some penetrating oil in the cylinders through the spark plug holes and let it sit a while then try turning the crank.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Something like PB Blaster in each spark plug hole and let it sit for a couple of hours,turn engine,repeat as necessary.If that doesn't work after a few tries,pull the heads.

neilswheels

Well Known Member
I’m i right to say it doesn’t matter what order you undo the head bolts? Is it worth alternating across the head?

61BUBBLE348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Hi Neil,
You will have to bight the bullet and tear the engine down, If it is stuck you will need to do a heavy hone at the least, but more than likely will need a bore and full rebuild.
Chev V8's are not that difficult, you just need to watch out for the little things unique to the W, there are a lot of threads relating to this, and when in doubt ask, the knowledge on here is second to none.

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
I have unstuck motors many times and ran them for years with no trouble. Just depends on how bad it is stuck. Penetrating oil, and use a pry arm on the flywheel teeth. That gives a good bite and also good leverage. It really does not take much to keep an engine from turning. Good luck!

427John

Well Known Member
If you can move it some try going back and forth and see how far it goes in each direction,if it keeps moving farther without using excessive force keep going back and forth until it starts making full turns,keep reapplying penetrant liberally.If it keeps stopping in the same spot after repeated tries at some point you have to admit defeat and tear down,but don't get carried away on the how much force you use.I agree with MRHP I've unstuck engines that ran fine afterward also just depends how badly rusted the cylinders are it doesn't take much to stick them.

Last edited:

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
You could try a bore scope to check the cylinder walls, if you have access to one. See if there is any rust, and if so, how heavy is it.
I always use my $7 ebay scope on my smart phone. Works like magic to stuff in any 1/4 hole. Everyone needs one. Diagnosed a blown Subaru motor in 30 seconds last year and saved the owner Thousands. Purchased several good strong running used motors in the last couple years based upon what I could see with this cheap camera. GET ONE BOYS! If you don't know how to use one, give it to your kids or grand kids and use them! Remember 1/4 hole means you can look up the oil plug, down the bore through the plugs, down the distributor hole, intake and exhaust ports.... See your cams, lifters, pistons, cylinders, crank, rods, caps, main caps.....

Gofish

Well Known Member
i imagine you can use any puller that will fit. You can get a loaner tool from a friendly shop (almost have to be a blood relative) or some auto parts stores (like the O’Reilly’s near me), and you can get a loaner install tool while you’re at it. Good luck.