348 TRI POWER CAME TO LIFE TODAY!!!!!!!

Robert Wiehl

Waiting 2 years to hear it run. Unfortunately I ran into the usual "first time run" issues on a custom tri power setup. The butterflies on the front carb are not closing all the way causing a major vacuum leak. Wont idle on primary carb at all due to that leak. Off idle is SWEET!!!! Throttle response is razor sharp and the sound is beautiful. I will be pulling the front and rear carbs tomorrow and fabricating block off plates so I can properly set the timing and primary carb idle settings. SO EXCITED TO HEAR IT RUN THOUGH!!! That 348 sounds so unique compared to other motors I have built. I LOVE IT!!!! I am really pumped up to get it fine tuned now. Major milestone in my build has finally come to pass. WOOOHOOOOOO!__________________

Attachments

• 14262964217561.jpg
    14262964217561.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 171

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Congratulations Robert!!! What part of Alabama are you in? There are a few of us in GA and Don Jacks is in Alabama also. Some of us will be getting together in the Chattanooga area later this spring.

Robert Wiehl

I am in Alabaster AL. Its about 17 miles south of Birmingham. Plan on hitting a lot of events once my car is fininished. I have about another year to go, maybe less.

tim bailey

congrats of the running 348 bob.If i may ask some questions.Is this a car block or truck block,what heads are you running,also what cam,pistons etc. any info would help in my build.I am building,or trying to build a truck block with the trip set up..So many different opinions,lol from throw it out to good luck getting it to 300.hp

Robert Wiehl

congrats of the running 348 bob.If i may ask some questions.Is this a car block or truck block,what heads are you running,also what cam,pistons etc. any info would help in my build.I am building,or trying to build a truck block with the trip set up..So many different opinions,lol from throw it out to good luck getting it to 300.hp

The motor is completely factory stock except for comp cams street "Thumper" cam and lifters, double roller timing chain, electronic ignition and tri power. Don't know what it came out of. But it is a 1960 block of I remember correctly from researching the numbers. If you need any help with anything durring your build, let me know. I will be happy to help in any way I can. This is a great site for all things W motor.

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Congratulations on getter your engine running. :beer
As you said, these engines do sound a little different than other engines. I'm not sure why, but they do sound different.

sshamu

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
So did you solve your front and rear carburetor issues? If so, how did you solve them and what were your solutions??

Robert Wiehl

I did finally figure out what was wrong. I first pulled the front and rear carbs off to isolate the center carb. I fabricated block off plates for them and installed. Fired it up and it idled ok after some minor adjusting. I then set the timing to make sure that was right before the final tweaking on the center carb. It now runs perfect on the center carb isolated. Great throttle response and sounds SOOOOOOO GOOD! I did find that the front and rear carbs butterflies were not quite closing all the way. Hence my inability to idle but running great off idle. I held them up to bright light and could see a hint of light around seating surfaces. I pulled the butterflies out and "finessed" them to get a better full close seating. This took several sessions to get right. Now they appear to seat correctly when closed and hold back pressure when blowing through them. I have not installed them yet. Been Very busy. I plan on doing more work on it soon. I can't wait to hear it run again. I will update as soon as I get further along.

Last edited:

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The butterflies on the secondary carbs are much thicker then the primary butterflies.