4 speed Stuck in 1st What can I do?

rafs409

Well Known Member
Hey Guys,
Im new to my car and have never owned a 4 speed. The car has run fine with no problems. I left the car at my brothers house and just picked it up. When I was putting the car in the Garage it got stuck in 1st gear. It wont come out and go into any other gears. How can I fix this or get it un stuck. I remember my dads 57 getting stuck in gears and you would have to pop the clutch as it was running and that would pop it out or you would get out and under the hood and move the linkage manually and it would get it out.

How can I get my tranny out of 1st and what causes this and how can I stop it from happening again?

Thanks for your help I know you guys will have the answer!

Rafael

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Stuck?

Get under the car and remove the shifter linkage. Place tranny in neutral. I'll take a guess here and say the shifter linkage needs to be adjusted.

rafs409

Well Known Member
thanks

Thanks fatride but now since Im a novice which one of the trannies linkage is for first gear. I think from seeing trannies on ebay there are two shifters comming from the tranny that the linkage connects to. Which one if for first and second and which ones are for 3rd and 4th.

thanks for your help
Rafael

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
tranny adjustment.

The front lever on the tranny is 3-4. The next one back is 1-2. Is this the old stock style shifter? There was a blocker that you used to set the linkage. Either a steel square block or a round pin. You unhook all the linkage at the tranny arms, put the pin through the levers at the shifter. Should be a hole through all 3 levers on the shifter. With that pin in place. adjust your linkage arms to fit the tranny levers. bolt it up, set the lock nuts, and pull the pin out. Should shift like new. Only other problem you might have, is they used a plastic bushing in the hole on the tranny lever. They wear and get sloppy. Hurst has newer ones, made form steel. No slop with them. Might transfer some road noise inside the car, though. I would use the steel, myself.
This is all good advice providing something INSIDE he tranny isn't broken.

Hope this helps.

Fred

Ed51

Supporting Member 1
Another thing you might look at is to make sure your clutch is completely releasing when you push in the pedal.Mine was getting difficult to shift and a clutch adjustment cured it. Just my $.02.

rafs409

Well Known Member
problem fixed

Thanks for all the help. It was actually an easy fix. Once I got under the car I checked everything to make sure there weren't any other issues before I disconnected the linkage. I found out that the plate that goes bolted to the tranny shifter rod for the one two shift was loose so the plate that the linkage attches to was loose and thats what caused it to get stuck. Once I tightend it up I easily put it in neutral and now it shift excellent.

Thanks for all the help,
Rafael