4 speed VS. Automatic

49fastback

Gathering parts for my build and wanted to get opinions of those who have run the W engine with an automatic. The reason I ask is I have a ready to go powerglide and also a 400 sitting on the shop floor. From a traditional sense I know the 4 speed is the transmission of choice, just was wandering if anyone runs a automatic and if so are there any issues?

BRYAN FUGATE

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
I run a 400 turbo with transbrake that I've yet to use. 4500 stahl converter with 4.11 gears best to date is 11.15 and it is street driven. No problems but I am thinking of changing to a 4 speed it just looks like a lot more fun.

49fastback

4500 stall speed. ... that's pretty hearty alright. What diff are you using? I'm thinking of going 9" Ford as the stock will be weak with all that torque. The reason I'm even considering an automatic is I have two to choose from ready to go. My buddy says putting a automatic in one of these cars is sacrilidge! I don't have any 4 speed gear boxes or other standard parts laying around so I'd need to hunt them down...just more time consumming. Probably more fun to drive I'd agree.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
I am lucky to have one of each, both in 1962 passenger cars, both dual quad setups (see my pic in the profile box). The four speed is a lot fun if you like to row through the gears, and the automatic is nice when you just want to cruise and not have to fight the shifting on hills, in traffic, etc.. Both my cars are drivers (was just out in each today :)) with 3.36 posi rear ends. The automatic is the Turbo350 three speed, the four speed is a Borg Warner T-10. Both have aftermarket shifters, both on the floor. Rubber can be had in either circumstance :).

So it's really up to you and how you like to drive, assuming that's what you're aiming for. If at all possible try to find someone in your area who has examples of each and have them give you some first hand experience :).

Have fun!

TomK

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I'm barely going to be able to afford to race a 409 after wanting to swap one in place of my 427 for years.....certainly no way I could afford to with a stick behind it....so I'm going to stay with my th400 and 8" convertor.
I believe a manual would be more fun and more appropriate for the car, but it takes a lot of money, time, money, knowledge, money, clutch tuning, money to get one to live and work right. Did I mention money? LOL I've got less than $1500 in my trans and convertor and have been served well for years by them. That much would get you a decent Muncie or T10 (which won't last very long with a lot of power and good tires) and a good clutch / shifter combo. I'm betting you'd be looking at replacing the clutch about every year if you run it much. A Jericho would last a whole lot better, but that is another couple grand I think.
I do have two Muncie 4 speeds complete with everything to install them, but I don't like the idea of trashing them both within the first couple years of racing.....so they will stay for street cars.

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
You cannot deny the appeal of a 4 speed. There are many reason to consider it or even a 5 speed. I am sure you will get plenty of opinions for each of them. I have had a few 4 speeds and always liked them. I even had some 3 speed ones ( on the floor, and of course on the tree ). I don't race though, and even though you can build an automatic to take just about anything, and shift very well, I am sticking with my automatic. I had a powerglide in mine 6 months ago. Then right before the rebuild on my 409 I replaced it with a 700R4. I wanted to keep the electronics to an absolute minimum so I passed on the 4L80E, and the 4L60E. I still get overdrive and lockup without any stand alone shift controllers. Drive is still 1:1 on both those transmissions you have so the real question is gear ratios and how you are going to " Truly " drive that car. Some people have distorted views on what they are really going to do with their cars. I think I would seriously decide how and what I was going to do with it before I made any decision on how I was going to build my motor or which trans I was going to use.

Jeff

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
A manual will keep you younger, you have to use your left leg, plus your brain to drive a manual. If you drag race, most use the auto, but many on here have the clutch and do quite well racing.

Don

quik9r

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
For what most of these motors are doing a turbo 350 auto should be more than enough, bullit proof but the big 400 is heavy and power consuming. If you could use a diff like 12 bolt (18 Hp) as apposed to a 9" (25+hp) and a Dana 60 (35+hp).
Weight, power= ET. I use a 4 speed (pure stock), but I know an auto is more consistent, auto vs 4 speed is 3-4 mph different on the big end.:)

Quik9r

63impalass409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I have two 63 409 cars one a factory 4 speed the other a powerglide car, could not stand the auto so I took it out and would never go back to it its just too much fun shifting and no figure I am a truck driver you would think I would get tired of shifting. Both cars have the original style all aluminum 63 T-10 with original shifters. Also have a 65 ss 396 with a muncie M-20 behind it. I would rather just sell the car if I ever had to go back to a auto. I even learned how to rebuild my own gear boxes and have a whole collection of them now.

49fastback

Thanks for all the comments. If I did go with a 4 speed it would likely be an M-22. The last 4 gear car I raced had a McLeod clutch in it...one of those 3000 lb jobs where you needed a leg like Arnold S. to push it down. I know they make much user friendly stuff now. I expect to have the engine ready around January so I've got time to think on it. In the mean time I'll be searching for parts.

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
homewrecker girls.jpg
Stick shift is for driving.
An auto is for riding.
Plus women are more attracted to the smell of 80/90 gear oil!

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Interesting.
I was watching "Fast and Loud" the other night and Richard was building his COPO 427 Camaro and was surprised to hear that they were using a 2 speed powerglide with that engine. I had no idea they were still making a PG. Must have dusted off the drawings and cst up some new ones. I wonder how they are different?:scratch

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Yeah you can build a PG from scratch by picking up a phone or clicking a mouse. Same as you can buy a brand new whole '57 Chevy or a '69 Camaro. Some people scoff at that notion, but the day you can buy an all new '61 is the day I will make my FIRST ever new car purchase. Something tells me I'll never live to see it. Wondering if they'll ever even reproduce Bel Air side moldings.

Sorry I got off track there.
If you are going to race the car and can afford to use a stick....I say go for it. May not be as quick as a stalled auto, but you'll be a couple MPH faster. Plus you'll definitely win style and fun points. If you are just building a fun driver....use a stick. A stock Muncie or BW will hold up fine until you start making brutal high rpm launches on sticky tires. If you are racing on a budget, put an automatic in it.

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Most of the Chevys at the tracks around here are running Glides. Even a few Fords.