409 flexplate

Ed Habuda

I am having a 1965 409 rebuilt. I have also had a 200r4 built for this motor. It appears the flexplate cover will not fit with a 168 teeth flex plate. can I go with a 153 teeth flex plate and what starter should I get.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
To install a 153 tooth plate,your blocks starter mouting pad will have to be drilled for the sdifferent starter required.It would be best to forgo the cover entirely.

Murphdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
To install a 153 tooth plate,your blocks starter mouting pad will have to be drilled for the sdifferent starter required.It would be best to forgo the cover entirely.
Don,
Aren't blocks drilled for the straight across pattern?
Jeff

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
All I've seen were drillied 3 with holes,but whenever some one has used the small flywheel,they've had to drill the block for the matching starter.I just thought of a cover that should work.It would be from an 82-85 GM fullsize car that was equipped with the 5.7 diesel/200r4 trans. como.I don't remember them having the small 153 tooth flywheel.

Murphdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
After some investigation this morning here is what I learned. On the straight across bolt pattern for a 153 tooth starter/flywheel combination the bolts holes have 3-9/32" spacing. BOTH holes have a recessed register that accepts the knurled alignment shoulder section of a special "starter bolt". A W block has an inner hole the appears to be for the 153 tooth combo, but is spaced at 2-13/16". This inner hole does not have a recess to accept the knurled shoulder. I think there is a cast iron 3 bolt vertical pattern starter nose that fits this W pattern but I did not find one handy to try.
Jeff

SSpev

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
After some investigation this morning here is what I learned. On the straight across bolt pattern for a 153 tooth starter/flywheel combination the bolts holes have 3-9/32" spacing. BOTH holes have a recessed register that accepts the knurled alignment shoulder section of a special "starter bolt". A W block has an inner hole the appears to be for the 153 tooth combo, but is spaced at 2-13/16". This inner hole does not have a recess to accept the knurled shoulder. I think there is a cast iron 3 bolt vertical pattern starter nose that fits this W pattern but I did not find one handy to try.
Jeff
That is correct. Pictures. http://www.348-409.com/forum/threads/starter-question.53851/#post-636268

SSpev

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
It is for Aluminum PG and probably 65 64 aluminum bellhousings.
Older manuals had starters bolted to the bellhousing. (iron) These were use back to 57. i think even the iron PG used this style.

Attachments

• image_2023-12-11_162156511.jpeg
    image_2023-12-11_162156511.jpeg
    92.3 KB · Views: 9