409 marine question

Thanks! It came with a wore down 16.75” dia 19” pitch. But I don’t think that would work with the 1:33 gear ratio, unless it had a BUNCH of low end torque. BUT... I just found a compleat 1967 outdrive unit still mounted on a chunk of boat transom that had a 25” pitch prop on it, and that one has a 1:78 gear ratio behind a 327 so maybe it would work, if it did at all. I would think a 13-15” pitch prop would be closer for a lot of people.

Yes but for now I’m just going to try & get it useable, take it out for a test drive & then decide what to do. My brother & I both owned those other two boats, that we sold & ive been using my $$ to do this one I didn’t need, but couldn’t resist!! Childhood memories....I guess I could build a big motor, blow up the cobbled together Mercruiser stuff THEN sell the motor....lotsa more money then lost tho. Tough call till more complete.

Mornin, I think I should clarify some painting comments. The valve covers were bead blasted, the intake was sand blasted and it came out a darker shade. The water pump is as cast and was NOT heated with the torch. I guess flame broiled is a better description than baked. After heating I put a piece of old T shirt on a rubber sanding block, and sprayed black engine paint on one end. Then can just set it down on the ribs to kind of dab it on. With the cured VHT you can clean off mistakes with a milder solvent, like brake cleaner or alcohol. Then put on the decals....I was wondering if the PCV I came up with will maybe work & not suck the excess oil from the pan. No baffle under intake. May need a catch tank of some sort.... The other pic is the complete 1967 outdrive I found after I put the engine together, instead of the pile of mostly used parts that I WAS going to use.The 64 was white in the early yrs, and the decal & rear badge were different colors. Thanks for the help I’ve got on this site!

Pics didn’t send. I’m not very computer literate.

Attachments

• C8E6AF8A-DB9D-49C2-B9E6-4C59498FA870.jpeg
    C8E6AF8A-DB9D-49C2-B9E6-4C59498FA870.jpeg
    76.8 KB · Views: 24
  • 6F2028F1-3367-4F52-94F2-55D94B7B5347.jpeg
    6F2028F1-3367-4F52-94F2-55D94B7B5347.jpeg
    77.2 KB · Views: 23