409 pilot bearing

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
I ran into the pilot bushing problem many years ago when I replaced the PG with a 3 speed in my 59. I machined a std pilot bushing to fit. The hole in the crank was rough machined, or just drilled, not smooth machined for a bushing. I remember wondering if it was even centered in the crank.

Just a thought,,, did Chevy only finish machine those going in clutch cars? The PG's, TG's, and 80 series trucks would not need machining. The trucks used a larger flywheel and larger bell housing. The ones I have seen had the pilot bearing in the flywheel, not in the crank. Just wondering.....

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
The small hole in the middle is for a pilot bushing?

Bill
According to my Engine Guru the crank he used was not cut for a pilot bearing. I gave him 2 engines and told him to give me the best of both engines. The crank was out of a 58-348 turbo glide. He did ask me if I wanted it cut for a pilot bearing and I told him to leave it be as I was going to use my 79 Malibu TH/350 trans. These old bones can't use a clutch any more.:cry
:crazy:dance:cheers

chevymusclecars

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I will go look at the crankshafts I have in the next few days to see what they measure. I wonder if he was saying that because of the diameter wasn't standard?

Bill

sycsteve

Well Known Member
I always use the GM roller bearing that was used for diesel apps. Best bearing out there besides the expensive kevlar ones and only costs $11 :D Beware of bronze ones floating around. A lot of them have iron in them:no. Check with a magnet before use.

You ever try the McLeod bearing? Just about ready to put my engine in but a little concerned about using the pilot bearing after reading some horror stories.
I'm using a Muncie 4 speed.

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Maybe this is a good time to insert this info. The street engine I finished a few months ago needed a clutch pilot bushing and I remembered others running into this problem so I did some research back then so solving my problem was easy. I found this info on O'Reilley's web site. Dorman part number for 99% of applications= 690-014 $2.49 O.D. = 1.093 ------------- Part number 690-034 $3.29 Discription reads " Only used for A/T conversion P.G. to manual trans.". O. D.= 1.060 I don't remember if O'reilley had the bushing in stock but if they did not,,, they had it in less than 2 days. Solving a " oops,,, this bushing is too big" problem for less than $5 is great. Doesn't happen very often.

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
You ever try the McLeod bearing? Just about ready to put my engine in but a little concerned about using the pilot bearing after reading some horror stories.
I'm using a Muncie 4 speed.
I've only used the GM. Never had a failure.

jdk971

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
my builder wanted to put a bearing in my vette. i said no, rather have the bushing. jim