409 Radiator Question

RCE1962

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Anyone know where I can get a new 409-4 core rad for a 62'? I've looked at some of the various Parts sites on the web. I saw a web site not too long ago that offered fairly authentic rads but I didn't bookmark the site.

Ron

RCE1962

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Jim

I've had some email correspondence with Curt at Mr409. He doesn't offer these rads anymore. He has stated that he has had some problems with these units and does not stock them anymore. Don't know who supplied these for him.

Thanks
Ron

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
This may help

I bought one of the Desert Cooler, 4 row radiators.... Can't find their website right off today, maybe someone can help. The price was reasonable and it fit perfect. I did have to trim the inside of the shroud alittle to clear the extra depth, or you could put a spacer under the shroud...

Rockfish39

Supporting Member 1
Trouble keeping cool ???

Griffin Radiator
US Radiator

are just two specialized vendors that quickly come to mind.
Google search should take you to their respective websites..

Good Luck!

Rock :cool:

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
I've got one of the Griffin aluminum radiators in my 63, looks close to original and cools good. Seems like I paid about 500 for it. I can't remember but I've been happy with it.

Bam59

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
i got the 4 row desert cooler by u.s. radiators works great. no cutting but had to make 6 spacers for the fan cover. even looks close to stock.

SteveD409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Early Rivieras used the same top tank and cores as a '63 '09 radiator (even has the covetted "Harrison" logo on the back of the tank). For my '63 Biscayne I advertised in the Buick parts wanted section of Hemmings saying I needed a Riviera radiator for a friend that had lost his over the years (if people know it's for an '09 the price mysteriously goes sky high, even back then). Got the whole radiator for $25, but went ahead and had it recored and the rad shop supplied a correct non auto replacement bottom tank. The bottom tank on the Rivi is correct except it has the outlet on the wrong side. Of course it doesn't have the hex indentations in the top of the upper tank needed for a '62.

SteveD

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I got a nice repro 4 core rad from Phil Reed. It's got the hex shaped dimples and he also sent the spacers that are needed to space the shroud back about 3/8". It looks alot like the original 62 rad but even without looking for the Harison logo you can see a few slight diferences. About the only complaint I can think of with it is that the overflow tube under the cap is too close to the rad. You've got to bend it up a bit to get a hose on it. Classic Motor Co. (Phil Reed)
PO Box 14398 10520 River Road
Kansas City, MO 64152
Phone: 816-587-1109 Fax: 816-587-6809
philreed@sound.net

RCE1962

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
I have followed up on some the leads that you guys have given me. Just Recently, U.S, Radiators appears to offer a superior rad unit, however, the Hex-nut dimple thing, for the upper tank, is not there. ...It is round.

Called Phil Reed's place and was told that the hex-nut impression is not as crisp as the original, but is there. The supplier is in California and would be shipped within ±10 days. Not sure if the end "Super" product, claimed by US Radiators, is available elswhere at this time.

Email to U.S Radiators

Question: Application is for a 1962 Impala SS - 409. Need Best Cooling unit, yet must have some authenticity. The upper tank that you have available must have the hexagon- impressions-dimples?
Answer: OUR RADIATOR HAS THE DIMPLES YET THEY ARE NOT HEXAGON , THEY ARE ROUND.

Question: A "Harrison" relief is also preferred but I'm told you don't have that available.
Answer: CORRECT, IT IS NOT AVAILABLE.

Question: How much?

Answer: $277.00 to $371.00. We offer 3 different types of cores, "Standard" 4 row, "High Efficiency" 4 row (same cooling capacity as a 5 row), "Optima" 4 row (same cooling capacity as a 6 row core)

Question?Statement: The vehicle will be undergoing some upgrades to horsepower. Heads, cam, compression, etc. Will this 4-core Superflow rad be OK? I will not be racing at the strip. But will stand on it from time to time and might get caught up in traffic from time to time. A comfort level will be ±180-190 degrees all around.

Answer: THE OPTIMA WILL, EVEN THE HIGH EFFICIENCY WILL DO AS WELL.
>
Question: Can this unit do that?
Answer: YES

Checked out their web site, read through the verbiage, and had a quick response to my inquiries. So far...so good.

Related Comments?

I'm leaning towards the "Optima- 4 Row".

RCE1962.