409 with a 427 crank

apryatel

Has anyone rebuilt a truck 409 with the original pistons milled using a 427 crank??

I am trying to do this to make the truck engine go better...it is all I have and I thought it would look good in the 62 Impala convert. The proper pistons from Ross are about a $1000 US. These truck pistons are heavy (there is about 3/8 in. on top) but taking an 1/8 off of them would certainly make them lighter and I should be able to get the compression up to 9.5/1. I was trying to find a way to go fast for cheap. If I have to spend the money, and get Ross pistons, I'll go for the 454 crank and pistons.

region rat

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Never heard of anyone trying that with truck pistons. I had a set of stockers that were milled to use big block rods. They would also work with a 427 crank and stock rods. I have some truck pistons buried somewhere. I'd have to check to see if there is enough meat on top to mill off .125.

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
There is plenty of meat. Spoiled, rotten meat. Pistons are not your problem ,my friend, it is clearancing those crank counter-weights to fit the block. That is ofcourse after you have the main journals and snout cut down to 409 size. Also dont forget the thrust flange has to reduced also. But truck pistons???? Big, heavy low compression CAST pistons have no place in a stroker motor. Sorry to be so blunt, but I think your selection of parts needs to be re-thought.....

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Good advise

Ronnie's right, as usual :).

It's a bit of machine shop work to turn a BBC crank into a stroker crank for a 409. Just turning the counterweights can inhale a cutter used on the lathe (those counterweights are quite hard!). At local shop rates you can spend a few $$$ making that conversion (mains, snout, flange, counter weights).

Assuming you are trying to produce someting "extra" with that added stroke, you would do well to spend an equal amount on the pistons (as in "new forged aluminum stroker pistons"). Perhaps if you told us what you were trying to accomplish, we could offer some advise for your consideration. Building a stout bottom end is a great start, and you want to do it right, given your personal budget. Depending on your intent and purpose, there are probably several options :).

Best,
TomK

Rockfish39

Supporting Member 1
Ronnie Russell said:
There is plenty of meat. Spoiled, rotten meat. Pistons are not your problem ,my friend, it is clearancing those crank counter-weights to fit the block. That is ofcourse after you have the main journals and snout cut down to 409 size. Also dont forget the thrust flange has to reduced also. But truck pistons???? Big, heavy low compression CAST pistons have no place in a stroker motor. Sorry to be so blunt, but I think your selection of parts needs to be re-thought.....

I hope you're not having a bad day good buddy! :coffee:
Rock:cool: