58-64 BBC 396-454 car owners running headers

RCampbell

Well Known Member
Age old ploblem

Hey Tics, I have the headman headers on my 64 with a 454 in it. They went in pretty easy. If you run a stick as I do, I had to cut one tube and twist it to clear the arm for the clutch but it was not hard to figure out.

JJ
We all agree header clearance is something we have fought for years. Custom headers are probably the best answer....especially if you're looking for optimum power. The steering shaft is also a common interference. Relocating the shaft...inboard and down...to run behind the headers helps. Relocating the clutch linkage may also be accomplished with a floor pivot. The last incarnation of our belair carried a BBC and everything fit well. The car...transmisssions...and both W motors have sold. The BBC motor remains along with some small parts...to include two sets of custom header. One of you BBC guys need the motor....you could give Jim MacKensie a run for his money. Cheers Russ

Tic's60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I built a set of custom fenderwell headers for the car in the begining but one on the drivers side got hung up on Pop's driveway and that was that. Lemmon wanted 1100.00 to build a new one with some mods I had desinged and I did not know and custom pipe builders localy at that time.
So I went to Hooker Super Comp 2 1/8 tube PIA headers, chopped about 2" off the collector to get more room for my 3" pipe. These were used and after 3 years they have began to fall apart.
So for awhile and even today I dig around fro something new and different.
I do have a brand new set of Super comps sitting here and have been looking for pics to see if I really do need to chop the collectors after finding the used set I bought were actualy BENT UP thus causing the clearence issue.
I seen this in a post BUT it did not mention pipe size or even any hints on how much room they have have on the collector end.
Still looking for this info.

So you see I kind of have a little bit of expereince with the ol chevy I have had for 20+ years and the half dozen BBC and 4-5 SBC in it :-)

My goal due to a hearing loss issue, antibiotics drugs, is to have decent/quite idle and cruise speed and who cares above that. I swapped over from VR10's to Supertrapps with enough discs for 750HP or 375 a side, math 2.2 x HP = total CMF divide by 2, and they work pretty well and I can tune them or drop the plate and go nuts. Making some custom end caps as well.
I know some hate them and I had my moments but the car sounds good, I have tin foil stuffed inbetween the driver side header collector to shut the hole up there, and more importantly it is running excellent. Replaced all of my plugs with GR4 NGK was using the ol B5's and after a tank + of gas and some long and short runs the plugs are just what they should be. And we are talking the proper seat and ground strap color viewed through a 10x plug mag I have.
Not an easy task consifering it's not a street motor, has 2 660's on a tunnel ram and runs on pump fuel with a tad bit of Lucus top end in it and I drive it all over the place. Cept when it rains.

Sorry for the ramble just filling in the blanks

We all agree header clearance is something we have fought for years. Custom headers are probably the best answer....especially if you're looking for optimum power. The steering shaft is also a common interference. Relocating the shaft...inboard and down...to run behind the headers helps. Relocating the clutch linkage may also be accomplished with a floor pivot. The last incarnation of our belair carried a BBC and everything fit well. The car...transmisssions...and both W motors have sold. The BBC motor remains along with some small parts...to include two sets of custom header. One of you BBC guys need the motor....you could give Jim MacKensie a run for his money. Cheers Russ

64CAYNE

I looked at the pictures I have taken and it seems that everything I have taken was in front of the motor or passenger side. I will try to get a good pic this weekend of the driver side so you get an idea of how tight things are.

JJ

Tic's60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I looked at the pictures I have taken and it seems that everything I have taken was in front of the motor or passenger side. I will try to get a good pic this weekend of the driver side so you get an idea of how tight things are.

JJ

That would be VERY COOL!

I don't run a stock crossmember, made mine for the Doug Nash 4+1 5 speed, and can redo it for more room if needed.

thanks!!