605 Power steering & a 235 WORKS!!

gbafus

Well Known Member
Today I FINALLY got to test my 605 power steering conversion. Since I have a 235, I'm using an original style generator/ps pump unit I found on ebay. Much to my delight...IT WORKS And it doesn't even leak! Fortunately, Authentic Power Steering sold me the correct bracket to hang the generator/ps pump on my 235. I used a universal joint with intergral vibration dampner, & splined shaft from Borgeson Steering to connect the 605 to my stock column.
I've read all the criticism about the "feel" of the 605 box. I've heard it reduces turning radius, too.
To me, it seems quite satisfactory. I like having gone from 5 turns lock to lock down to 3 1/2. It seemed stable on the freeway at 55 mph.
My only disappointment is that the pump whines a bit. I'm hoping it's just air that needs to work it's way out.
The best part, of course is no more "armstromg steering" in the parking lot! All in all, I give it a big thumbs up!

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The turning radius couldn't be effected since the turning radius is determined by the spindle stop hitting the A arm stop or whatever they're called. Curious did you modify the output pressure of the gen/pump combo? I thought those early pumps were of lower pressure than the newer style cans?

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Foregot to ask. What year is your car?
The bracket for a newer style Saginaw pump should be readily available for your 235. Might improve your ps if the noise continues.

Duh...1958!

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
maybe

Maybe the reduced pressure of the older style pump makes the 605 feel more responsive?

gbafus

Well Known Member
Curious did you modify the output pressure of the gen/pump combo? I thought those early pumps were of lower pressure than the newer style cans?
The guy at Authentic Power Steering told me that the old style pump I'm using is rated 100 psi lower than the 605 box is supposed to get, but that it should work. I did have to increase the idle just slightly (I don't have a tach to say how much) as it did stall once cranking the wheel standing still. It may have been set too slow.
I searched online pretty extensively, & didn't find a bracket to put a later pump on my '58 235. I understand that the '60 - '62 would have worked, but they are extremely hard to find, & I would have also needed to change the crank pulley.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
If you're happy with the performance that's what counts.
I'm of the notion that the noise is associated with the lower pressure, I could be wrong. I'll look around to see if the 235 ps bracket is readily available or not.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Checked with a couple of local suppliers and every one says that no one they know of makes a ps bracket for the 235. I guess the demand is lower than I expected. I recently sold a 1961 w/ps 235 six to a close friend. I may look to see how difficult the bracket for a saginaw pump is to make.

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
If anybody has one Patrick's in Casa Grande, Az. would. He specializes in 6 cyl Chevy parts, mostly pickups but just about anything. I don't have his contact info but you can look in the back of most car mags or google it.