61 Impala powerglide to 4 speed HELP

SSMAN2

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I have a 61 Impala that I would like to switch from a powerglide transmission to a 4 speed Muncie transmission. Unfortunately, I am not that talented so I would have to get someone to do it. I contacted 3 restoration shops in my area and 1 classic transmission place and none seemed interested in the project, not even returning my emails. I had one gentleman on another forum offer me some parts for sale but I am not sure what is needed for my application or what prices would be fair. Does anyone know of a shop willing to handle this project in my area. I live close to the CT. / MA border.
Thanks, John

Reactions: 327

62_Conv_2-4s

Well Known Member
Unless you are willing to perform the conversion yourself you may have a long wait. Most specialty performance shops are backed up nearly a year or longer. Reason? Parts availabiity problems and also labor problems. You can order the parts you need from Late Great Chevies or Classic Industries and many others. Getting the parts are another matter. I have been waiting for my 62 Impala SS convertible seat covers for over 6 months now.

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Do you want a 61 setup or would you do the complete switch to use a 62 setup? PVS409 Paul has posted on the difference in them and why to do a 62 in a 61.

SSMAN2

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Yes,Paul was the gentleman who offered to sell me much of the stuff I needed to make it work including the 62 pedals. But, even with that all of the restoration shops would not respond. Maybe, as someone said earlier they are just too busy, or way short of help.I told Paul with the car shows starting soon I may find someone who could make the switch and who would know exactly what was needed.

SSMAN2

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Like I said earlier, I unfortunately know nothing about what I need or how to do it. I really should not be in this hobby, but always loved older cars , so three years ago at 78 years old, (You tend to get a little wilder as you age) I said to myself, screw it, i"ll take my chances and live my dream. I have been very lucky not having any major problems and just driving them, and drive them I do every day weather permitting. Hell, I have a lot of catching up to do!:laugh2 . Anyway on another forum before I came here I asked how hard it was to make the change and Paul answered saying he had a lot of the stuff I would need to make it happen He said that finding the 61 pedals complete might be very difficult most are missing, ( I think he said the return spring if you can find them at all.) He said the 62's can be made to work, they are even better and he would answer any of my questions on the phone if I ran into any problems. He to offered to do it for me, (said he has done 3 of them )if I were closer. Some real nice people out there, could be why I enjoy this hobby. I guess I like driving the old cars because when I step out I get to see the expression on peoples faces as they try to figure out which is older the car or me. I usually win!:laugh
John

Seon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Ironic, I switched from a Muncie 4 speed to a th350 including the steering column on the '61 Parkwood that I gave to my youngest daughter. Now my daughter asked if I would switch back to the Muncie but I declined.
At any event, I'd suggest attending a couple of your local "cruise" event and ask around who could/would do the swap.

SSMAN2

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Ironic, I switched from a Muncie 4 speed to a th350 including the steering column on the '61 Parkwood that I gave to my youngest daughter. Now my daughter asked if I would switch back to the Muncie but I declined.
At any event, I'd suggest attending a couple of your local "cruise" event and ask around who could/would do the swap.
Bet she wins you over:waiting2: Yes I go to a show every Saturday , this year it starts April 30th. and thought I would ask around. This is why I have not bought any parts yet, I really don't know what I need or where to get them I saw a lot of Muncie transmissions for sale on line with a big difference in prices depending on if it was used or rebuilt. I figured when the time came you guys would point me in the right direction. The old girl now has 15 inch black walls on her with crager rims, but one of my friends found 5 original chevy rims. They are being sand blasted and painted. We also found the correct 14 inch SS type 1 inch white walls and of course the one year only SS type spinner hub caps. The hub caps are repops but they still look cool!:judges:

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Here is a picture of 95 % of the parts to convert a PG to stick (without the 4 speed transmission and clutch and pressure plate & shortening the driveshaft)
These parts are using a 62 clutch and brake pedal (not using the 61 pedals...) -all these parts are restored and zinc plated or new parts.

There are two different clutch forks and lower clutch push rods in these pictures. one fork is sloted and one is not.

Paul

IMG_0173.JPGIMG_0175.JPGIMG_0180.JPGIMG_0183.JPGIMG_0184.JPGIMG_0185.JPG

SSMAN2

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Here is a picture of 95 % of the parts to convert a PG to stick (without the 4 speed transmission and clutch and pressure plate & shortening the driveshaft)
These parts are using a 62 clutch and brake pedal (not using the 61 pedals...) -all these parts are restored and zinc plated or new parts.

There are two different clutch forks and lower clutch push rods in these pictures. one fork is sloted and one is not.

Paul

View attachment 105238View attachment 105239View attachment 105240View attachment 105241View attachment 105242View attachment 105243
Hi Paul, What a cool website you have, and your garage is to kill for! The videos are fantastic. Those parts are overwhelming, wow anyone that can put all those parts together and make it work has a real talent. I still have your email and phone number and like I said I contacted 4 restoration shops and a transmission place that specializes in classic cars. and no one returned my calls. I can't believe it, I have never experienced this before.

Seon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Man, all those parts without having to scrounge for is great....it's like a sore Penis, that's hard to beat.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
As you can see, there's a bit of detail involved in addition to the "heavy lifting" swap out :).

Don't forget the modifications you'll want to make to your steering column to replicate the four speed smooth column.

Good luck! TomK