'61 Impala SS @ Russo & Steel

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Don't know .....it's 10 pm now and they have another 40 cars to go.
Phil.....the car problably would have done more at B-J but they wouldn't let him put a reserve on the car and he just can't gamble that much

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Don't know .....it's 10 pm now and they have another 40 cars to go.
Phil.....the car problably would have done more at B-J but they wouldn't let him put a reserve on the car and he just can't gamble that much

It's 8pm in Az

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Tommy................I've been told that the Mecum auctions get a better caliber of car and they will still let you put a reserve on. But with R&S............if it doesn't sell...he can always try another auction.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
[quote="real61ss, post: 166342"......the car problably would have done more at B-J but they wouldn't let him put a reserve on the car and he just can't gamble that much[/quote]

I love how easy it is for others to play with our money. Just like Ebay, they tell you to lower your selling price and offer free shipping, easy to say when it's not your money you're giving away!

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
Earlier this evening they had a ' 55 Chevy powered with a Rolls Royce Merlin V12 P51 Mustang engine that went no sale. The bidding got to around 200K and when they failed trying to get it fired up, bidders started booing and they pushed it off the stage. They said the engine was worth a million alone. They announced a "no sale". I checked the BJ site and it was listed with a reserve. :scratchLeo

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
B-J told the owner of the '61SS that the car had to be valued at or above 200K before they would allow a reserve.
BTW.... the owner of the '61SS is a member here, I don't recall what name he goes by but he joined after he bought the car and has posted a few times. 8 more cars to go!!!

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
B-J told the owner of the '61SS that the car had to be valued at or above 200K before they would allow a reserve.
BTW.... the owner of the '61SS is a member here, I don't recall what name he goes by but he joined after he bought the car and has posted a few times. 8 more cars to go!!!
Tommy, I believe you said earlier that you were interested in what the general public would value an orig 61 SS such as your ex car. You sold it and a buyer paid a price for it, which is the definition of what something is worth, so how much did you sell it for?

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Looks like interest died out at $75,000 well below the Reserve. Stated it would take more than $100K. Was pretty late at night, not much in terms of bidders. Not a true reflection of the value of this rare vehicle.

Best,
TomK

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
I'm disappointed..................bid to $75K and auctioneer said it would take close to $100K. That's too low to me too. I'm not impreswed with the R&S auction.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Looks like interest died out at $75,000 well below the Reserve. Stated it would take more than $100K. Was pretty late at night, not much in terms of bidders. Not a true reflection of the value of this rare vehicle.

Best,
TomK

Whic car are you talking about?

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Not well described, didn't do it justice.... "It has the big block"????WTF
I wouldn't consign a car of that quality there.

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
I'm disappointed..................bid to $75K and auctioneer said it would take close to $100K. That's too low to me too. I'm not impreswed with the R&S auction.
The bid was $70k, they were asking for $75K. Looks like a low budget operation. Like Cecil says, not much effort.Leo

Jim409_Pontiac

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
That is way too low for that car. I agree with Phil, after keeping the comp. tuned in all night I am not impressed with R&S as well.

BSL409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
I had sold my 65 Impala SS Convertible 396 back 2009 when the market was still good :bowand just starting to drop the car went over seas though. I have been watching the same caliber of car for the past two years and they seem to be selling for about half of what mine sold for. Not sure if the car market will recover to what it was:grumble

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
I agree with the impressions that the R&S auction did not attract the caliber of buyer that such a car warranted. I was watching a delayed recording of the B-J auction held nearby, and was near the 6:00 PM mark (delayed) when Tommy's 61 was under the lights at Russo-Steele. At the Barrett-Jackson auction a number of very rare vehicles from the 30s were nailing 1-2-3 million dollars, and I thought "that's where the Super Sport ought to be". Not at millions, but at B-J where the money was. Of course those cars were under a Reserve...

I hope the current owner wasn't too frustrated, we all have expectations and a heightened appreciation for the effort put into creating such a detaied car, and the cost to transport and then list a vehicle only to go home with it must be nerve racking.

Now I need to start saving my pennies and saving my dimes so I can buy that SS car :).

Cheers!
TomK

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
I think she was thinking on a different level. I did get a nice card and a few T shirts :).

I guess it's up to me to deal with the Big Stuff. She did watch that portion of the Barrett-Jackson auction where the Pierce Arrow, the Tucker and a few other high dollar cars were. She says next year my present will be a trip to Scottsdale, but just as a visitor, not a buyer.

I bet that '61 SS would have hit six figures at B-J last night.

Cheers!
TomK