'61 Impala SS348

ejw 71

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
In Hemmings, "Muscle Machines" June 2004, pg 4, Mecum Auction advertises a '61 Chev Impala (looks like a conv.) SS348. Believe a owner of such a car is a member. Would like his view on this car. Thanks, Ed

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Ed,
I guess you are talking to me, maybe not but anyway, I got my Hemmings Muscle Car magazine yesterday. I remember seeing a 61 SS conv. listed in an add for an auction, I guess this is the car that you are referring too. I couldn't tell anything from the picture. If you could get some information about the car and email me, I'd be glad to help anyway I can.

B

bowtieollie

Yes there is a 1961 SS model.

Do a search on this site - the topic has been discussed ad neauseum

walkerheaders

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
61 SS convert

Tommy,
i'm certain youve seen this before: somewhere in my stax of old hot-rods, there is an ad showing a 61 SS convertable. that part i'm sure of, were very many ss convertables built? and would that feature vehicle possibly be a 409?

when i was a little kid, we lived in manassas va., my stepdad had a 61 283 4spd red convertable with whitetop and inside we used to ride around in. he sold it local for $800 and bought a new 69 riviera.

M

MK IISS

Mr. Walker:

Bob has a copy of the '61 SS Conv. Ad . Go to the home page...put your cursor on ARTICLES...click on 1958-65 SALES ADS....click on the back of the 61...click on SS thumbnail ad.

bobs409

Administrator
I'll make it easy for ya. :D I believe this is the one Richard mentioned:
1961_chevy_ad3.jpg

M

MK IISS

Thanks Bob. Did you notice the Impala in the photo does not have the SS wheel covers?

walkerheaders

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
i'll have to hunt for the ad. it shows the 61 SS conv from a birds eye view, and with one of those test wheels bolted to the back.

bobs409

Administrator
59fins said:
it kills me what a car that needs restoring brings

Yep, the days of the hundred dollar fixer uppers are long gone. Nothing even around me at all, not even rusted out hulks. They all vanished. :cry Very sad and it can only get worse. :(

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Bob Walker, (can't just say Bob, got too many of'm)
I don't know how many 61SS convertibles were made, also don't think anyone else knows, Chevrolet just didn't keep those kind of records that I know of. I do know that at least one and maybe more liget 61SS convertibles have been found. So far as the pictures in the add that Bob posted, I don't think the two pictures are of the same car, the picture showing the outside of the car isn't an SS, at least I don't think it is, the hub caps and the tires are wrong, that car has regular Impala hub caps and wide white walls. On the other hand, the interior shot is of a SS but I don't think it's a convertible. I'm not a convertible person (never owned one except my Corvette) but I do know that the 61 Convertibles had all vinyl seat covers instead of cloth/vinyl, I think that the convertibles had rubber mats instead of carpet. The interior shot shows a car with carpet. Also, the front grille guard is not one of the manditory opitions but I have never seen a factory SS that didn';t have them.
:cheers