61 quarter panel replacement

bubbletop1961

Well Known Member
Over the winter I replaced the right quarter with a 4 door quarter I had. It had been wrecked twiced in the back corner and the metal was very streched out. I have been ovoiding it for a long time but set my mine to it this winter. Ill try to load up some pics to show it. It was fun. I enjoyed the metal work alot. BUT, The body and paint tested my patience. Last night I painted the rear of tha car(second time:dunno ). It turned out pretty good. I did run it in one spot dammit. And ther is some bugs in the trunk just under where the ceiling light is. The paint laid down nice, body work doesnt look to bad. (I must finally be getting better). I will deal with those 2 issues and try to finish this project. Ive been waiting for a long time to get to this point. I get to let it dry for a few days And hopefully this weekend I will paint the red insert on the quarters and start putting on the trim:brow . I cant wait to see what it lools like.

Attachments

• S3500230.JPG
    S3500230.JPG
    94.4 KB · Views: 113
  • S3500232.JPG
    S3500232.JPG
    95.6 KB · Views: 106
  • S3500239.JPG
    S3500239.JPG
    96.2 KB · Views: 110
  • S3500337.JPG
    S3500337.JPG
    92.9 KB · Views: 118
  • S3500381.JPG
    S3500381.JPG
    96.4 KB · Views: 125

bubbletop1961

Well Known Member
Couple more pics.

Attachments

• 61.jpg
    61.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 71
  • 61 2.jpg
    61 2.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 74
  • 61 3.jpg
    61 3.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 81
  • 61 4.jpg
    61 4.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 98
  • 61 5.jpg
    61 5.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 82

TomO

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Brian - You car is looking GREAT!!!! Are you bringing the car to the May 5th race?

TomO

bubbletop1961

Well Known Member
At this time it is still no. When Im done with this its just cruising for a while. Id really like to put my extra money to my truck this year. Ive neglected it over the years to build this car. I really need to give it some love this summer. Lots of small stuff to catch up on. And some small stuff quicky turning into big stuff if I dont do something soon.

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
That's nice work Brian! Since you enjoy it so much you should spend next winter here in AZ. I've got enough metal work to do on my projects to keep you happy for a couple of months.:deal
:roll

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Brian
Good job.. Would you consider the Eastern Shore for one summer rather then with Cecil? You can practice your 61 metal work skills and more important practice painting until it's perfect. How are you on 63's:roll :roll
Robert

bubbletop1961

Well Known Member
Thanks for the comments. It would be fun to help out both of you. If only i could find a job thats nothing but working on cool, fast, and old cars and would pay enough money id be in heaven.

cccchevy

61 qtr panels

Since your on the subject, are 61 repo qtrs availalbe? I've been thinking about buying a 61 2dr Impala. I like to see whats available parts wise before starting a new car project, I have not seen rear qtrs for 61's.

bubbletop1961

Well Known Member
There is no one making them that I know of. If there is Im going to kick my own a@@ for using a used one. Was unsure if replacing a bent one for a used one with rust was a good idea or not. Still dont know. BUT It looks better now than before. Will see how it looks in a couple of years. There is a panel that goes between the rear edge of the door and the front edge of the rear wheel well. Thats as good as it gets for the rear exterior sheetmetal.

gearhead409

Well Known Member
the front of the wheel opening is the same as a 62 but the rear section is not. i had a new GM rear section i sold to a member here on the site about two years ago. they are hard to find.

DaveFoster

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
[I did run it in one spot dammit. And there are some bugs in the trunk just under where the ceiling light is.] You get runs by trying to make the paint flow and lay down with no orange peel, you did good, I paint cars every week and I get runs. Wet sanding runs out with a flat foam sanding pad should be done after about 24 hours, let it cure another half day before buffing, buff it again the next morning. Heavy runs may take two blockings, with extra cure time between blockings. Bugs should be picked out of wet paint quickly, tacky paint shoudn't be a problem. The real shaft is when a knat flys into your spray pattern and gets blown into your clearcoat, preserved for future admiration, got one in the roof of my 64. Hard to do, only happens once every ten years and that little PR@CK choose my 409.
Gives a whole new meaning to "Working the bugs out" I'd need a dentist's drill to get this little PR@CK out, not that I'm bitter or anything!!!

gearhead409

Well Known Member
every painter will ran into problems now and then, it's how you fix them that shows your talent. i have used small drill bits to get dirt out of clearcoat. as for bugs, use blue cap raid around the paint booth before you paint. been doing it for years.

bubbletop1961

Well Known Member
Made some progress this weekend. Got the red insert painted. And put on most of the chrome. I wish the chrome was in a little better shape. There is some light scrathes and small dings. But Its what i got, it will have to do. Funny, I remembered it being in better shape. I geuss thats what happens when several years go by since the last time you look at something.:doh Looks pretty cool to finaly see the outside of the car come together.

Attachments

• 61 6.jpg
    61 6.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 47
  • 61 7.jpg
    61 7.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 41
  • 61 8.jpg
    61 8.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 49

DaveFoster

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
blue cap raid around the paint booth??? paint booth??? you got a paint booth? I paint in the middle of my bodyshop, no paint booth, get a paint booth and the state of California has a fee for that, then another fee attached to additional paperwork, all with timetables and late charges, and regular inspections complete with violations. No booth, no fees, no timetables, no late fees, but no complete paintjobs either, I can only spray 99.9% of a ready to spray gallon of automotive top coat per day and up to but not including three gallons of primer per day, I must keep daily records for the last three years of all paint sprayed in case the Air Quality Management District inspector stops by for inspection, haven't seen one in about twenty years. Which beats a small shop having a spray booth in California, had one once, sold it and ended many problems. Oh and by the way got bugs and dirt in the spray booth paint work also. much less of it if I cleaned everything, but most of your dirt problems are from the cracks and seams of the car you're painting. Best advice there is to wash the car you are going to paint thoroughly after the final sand, just before masking and spraying, water will glue down anything it doesn't wash away in almost all cases. And they have special painters dirt picks if you want to go all out, but they're pricey.

gearhead409

Well Known Member
Dave

Gee!! in my 29years of doing collision work and a ton of street rods i guess i just didn't know all that. thanks for the info!!!

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Since your on the subject, are 61 repo qtrs availalbe? I've been thinking about buying a 61 2dr Impala. I like to see whats available parts wise before starting a new car project, I have not seen rear qtrs for 61's.

I got lucky and found a pair, 2-door HT, fairly close to home. I am going down Friday, eastern Oregon, to pick them up. They also come with a complete 4-door HT 283 powerglide that is rust free car. My car was hit on the drivers side at one point and has had a bad repair. This will fix it.:brow