'62 409

Great site here and I'm sure I'll be asking alot of questions soon.

Attachments

• 0205081537a.jpg
    0205081537a.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 133
  • downsized_0210080041.jpg
    downsized_0210080041.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 117
Well kind of both. It's a SS conv. Black with red inside. I have the body all sandblasted and the metalwork done. Had to put a trunk pan in it and one floor pan. Body pretty good shape. I've tried to bag everything so I'll know where and how it goes back together. Has been fun so far.Thanks for looking.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
More envy!

Very nice vehicle, and my favorite color combinations for those years!

When I first heard the Beatles back in '64 (I Wanna Hold Your Hand?) it was in the back seat of my Dad's 1962 Impala convertible. Fond memories!

You are one lucky dude! Is the engine original to the vehicle?

Where in North Carolina are you located? I visit Chapel Hill in the summers, sometimes I drive my old Chevy :).

Cheers!
TomK

1962 SS Sport Coupe 409 clone / body off restoration

Well Mr. Kochtanek, it's a all original 62 SS Conv. I'm doing the resto for a R.L. Miller out of Tenn. Still has drum brakes no power steering and those little skinny tries they ran back then(no wonder those cars would do burnouts for a 1/4 mile). I'm from Elk Park, It's in the N.C. Mtns. I usally paint hot rods, race cars, motocycles and things. This is the first original car I've done and it's alot harder than going custom. Plus MORE money. Everyone is trying to capitalize on all the parts you need. I think the auctions on t.v. has killed it for us smaller people too. Well anyway thanks for looking and I'll be posting up more pics later...

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Excellent!

Patrick:

Thanks for the insight. An original '62 409 car is rare, indeed!

I remember a friend of mine back in high school had one, it too was Black over Red with SS trim. I had a lowly 1961 Belair four door with a 283 and three-on-the-tree. Mine cost $200, his was $750. That was a princely sum back in high school (late 60s).

My '62 was an LA car (Van Nuys) and had the original underpans sprayed in Red Oxide. Is that how yours is/was?

Do keep us posted as you wade through the details. My work is more of an amateur attempt, but I tried to be faithful to the factory, even though she's a clone. The engine is not "period correct", rather a BBC stroked truck block). Those 1962 engines are VERY hard to come by, especially if all the castings match. So I got close (the right genre, 409), but not correct.

The hardest part for me when I took mine apart was the time delay between the dismantle and the reassembly. It was about a year and a half. I cataloged everything in detail, captured the disassembly in video, and still had a devil of a time getting the right nuts and bolts in the right place in the right sequence. The video helped, but I was lucky enough to have a 1962 "mule" (complete car) out back for 3 dimensional reference. Plus the GM manuals, they helped immensely.

It is fun, I'll do it again, but I need to have the right space. Lucky are those that have the time, talent, perseverance, and associated resources to do such a project. And lucky are we who get to appreciate the end result of such an effort!

Keep us posted :).

TomK