62 Impala SS Bubbletop Re-Restoration

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Brian: I hadn't thought of going west on 70 to phil's then south but I would only do that if he and Candy rode the Bikes. That way we could only be blamed for a distributor or maybe one afb not a whole car missing from Texas:roll:roll I'll think that over as I would enjoy seeing Phils area also.
I like your route west to avoid the no gas Charlotte/
atlanta area but like you I have contributed plenty to the cops on the Rt 58W Virginia road. They are still bad as I have been driving that road since 1965.
There is also another issue that I haven't mentioned.. How in the hell am I gonna get out of MD with Brian's truck. Sounds like allot of explaining to do at the scales in MD.:roll:roll I would love to blame it on Phil:eek:
robert

roger gunter

Supporting Member 1
Brian
Sounds like you might have something going on hear
all meeting up at Ronnies:dunno
If it all happens, Joyce and I might come up for the day ( possable stay overnight in a motel ):D:D

Sounds like fun :clap:clap

:cheers:cheers
roger

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Brian: I hadn't thought of going west on 70 to phil's then south but I would only do that if he and Candy rode the Bikes. That way we could only be blamed for a distributor or maybe one afb not a whole car missing from Texas:roll:roll I'll think that over as I would enjoy seeing Phils area also.
I like your route west to avoid the no gas Charlotte/
atlanta area but like you I have contributed plenty to the cops on the Rt 58W Virginia road. They are still bad as I have been driving that road since 1965.
There is also another issue that I haven't mentioned.. How in the hell am I gonna get out of MD with Brian's truck. Sounds like allot of explaining to do at the scales in MD.:roll:roll I would love to blame it on Phil:eek:
robert

Robert-

No problem with the scales in Md. My Mother lives in Va. portion of the shore! Get this...My mothers neighbor also has a 62 SS 327/300 car! Never met him myself, but my father spent alot of time over there.

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Brian: I kind of figured I would have to go down to the Parksley area and load the 49 then come back home and get things checked out/load a 409 to leave with Ronnie then Dick and I would leave early the next morning.
We had several 300 hp 62 and 63 4 speed Impalas around here and they were strong runners "in the day". I guess you want that 62 brought down later:roll:roll I probably saw it at the Parksley show this past spring. I might have a picture of it!!
Also about your truck..... I've just gotta know as I am sort of familiar with the trucks area it's been in. Will I have to unload many eel pots, peeler pots and bank floats:roll:roll
robert

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Actually, The 49 is in the middle of my mothers horse pasture! With a jump start, it should fire right up, but don't let it run very long. I converted it over to 12 volts, but never had time to put the resistors on the gauges yet! :eek::eek::eek:

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Brian:
I've been thinking this situation over the last few days. I am familiar with soil types on the shore(we dig it remember) . Dick MacKenzie and I are to take my trailer to your mom's pasture fire up a truck that's been in that pasture with bad gas and a half 6volt and half 12 volt system for several years drive the truck on the trailer, without burning up the electrics, then try to drag the whole works out of your Mom's horse pasture. This doesn't look like a pretty picture to me.:eek::eek: I sure hope Mom has some large tractors with dual rear wheels.:cheers
I also haven't got a clear picture on how I am going to secure your truck and a 409 motor in the trailer unless Dick rides in the back to support everything.
robert

Dick MacKenzie

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
I also haven't got a clear picture on how I am going to secure your truck and a 409 motor in the trailer unless Dick rides in the back to support everything.
robert

I have some steel toe tennis shoes we can use for chocks. :D

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Robert-

I last started and my 12 year old daughter drove the truck in the pasture a little over a year ago, so it should fire up "fairly" easy. As far as the electrical issue, disconnecting the charge back wire from the alternator should take care of it and the pasture is more like a fenced in yard. I can get someone to start it up and pull it out of the pasture before you drive out there.

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Thanks Brian things are looking up:rolleyes: Say..... do you mind if Max my golden retriever rides in the truck. He likes to go for rides:D
robert

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Got back from my road trip and it was like Christmas in October!!! Most of the parts I ordered just before I left came in....

Here are some pics of the parts that I just had to open as soon as I walked in the door!

Now all I need is the stroker kit so Ronnie can put the 409 together, which should be here this week.

Attachments

• DSC03881.jpg
    DSC03881.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 144
  • DSC03892.jpg
    DSC03892.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 125
  • DSC03893.jpg
    DSC03893.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 126
  • DSC03894.jpg
    DSC03894.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 107
  • DSC03897.jpg
    DSC03897.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 135

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I just couldn't stand to see the rear apart, so I put it together to get the full picture! Now I have to take it back apart to weld the 2nd upper mount, then off to the powder coater.

Attachments

• DSC03904.jpg
    DSC03904.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 107
  • DSC03905.jpg
    DSC03905.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 84
  • DSC03906.jpg
    DSC03906.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 86
  • DSC03907.JPG
    DSC03907.JPG
    85.6 KB · Views: 77

Kdurgin

Well Known Member
I just couldn't stand to see the rear apart, so I put it together to get the full picture! Now I have to take it back apart to weld the 2nd upper mount, then off to the powder coater.

Brian, are you worried about the welding of that 2nd upper arm mount pulling your tube up and then the rear will require straightening? On my race cars wether a stock rear tube or quick change tube, they pulled awful especially welding closer to the center section the more they would move. Eventually, we went to all clamp on suspension mounts. When you are done, put a set of tires on it and set them in a milk crate, rotate the rear housing while holding a tape on the tire tread to see how much it bent. On the race cars we re-straightened to within 1/16 to 1/8 and called it good. I don't know what a reasonable amount for the street would be? I would be very curious to see your results as that is a major factor on whether I install a second upper mount on my Moser. Thanks, Kevin.

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Brian, are you worried about the welding of that 2nd upper arm mount pulling your tube up and then the rear will require straightening? On my race cars wether a stock rear tube or quick change tube, they pulled awful especially welding closer to the center section the more they would move. Eventually, we went to all clamp on suspension mounts. When you are done, put a set of tires on it and set them in a milk crate, rotate the rear housing while holding a tape on the tire tread to see how much it bent. On the race cars we re-straightened to within 1/16 to 1/8 and called it good. I don't know what a reasonable amount for the street would be? I would be very curious to see your results as that is a major factor on whether I install a second upper mount on my Moser. Thanks, Kevin.

Kevin-

honestly I didn't even think about the tube warping. I would think it would have been a small enough job not to affect it???

rwagon57

Supporting Member 1
Brian,

If its welded in a single pass it will warp/bend the axle tube. The welding should be done a small amount at a time and allowed to cool to the touch before welding more. Cool to the touch is cool enough that you can leave your hand on it, not cold.

Kdurgin

Well Known Member
I have seen welding done on tubes that had a dial indicator set up on them and the needle goes around the dial like a clock. Comes back part way during cooling though. I think part of the weld for this mount will be on the tube and part on the center section? Where did you get the weld on mount for the 2nd upper arm, Show Cars?

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Brain..............be carefull!!! I have a factory rearend housing here that a customer welded the upper bracket on.........and it is so warped he had to get a new one!!! Damnest thing I've ever seen!!! The LH tire and rim was about 15 degrees off from straight up.:eek::eek::eek: