63 Windshield - only tinted available?

bobs409

Administrator
Another thing... I noticed there is almost no room at the bottom of windshield / dash area so I don't think I can pull a wire/string or rope from there. I was thinking of using a soapy rope cord and going from bottom corner, up and over the top and down to the other bottom corner. I won't put any cord along the bottom as that part will slip right in first. Does this sound plausible?

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Dan,
Thanks for that link, I'm going to order some of that stuff. I have the same problem with the rear glass in my 61 Ventura.
Your welcome Tommy.
Also wanted to mention that my 60 Ventura has a EZW , shaded tinted windshield, while the rest of the glass is clear with no spray on shade on the back glass. I have only seen the spray on shade on 60 & 61 EZI backglass both on my vehicles and others that I have payed attention to.

1961 Bubble Boy

Well Known Member
Bob take it from someone who spent so much time in a water booth testing and fixing leaks at GM they thought I got water on the brain. You need to seal all interfaces otherwise water will get in.
Water has surface tension and will be drawn into tight crevices. Without sealer between the glass and gasket, water will wick right in. The shop manual has you use a sealer that is pumped in after the glass is installed to form a continuous bead around the outside edge of the gasket and the glass and again on the inside. You need a hand pump like an oil can. I have read of a guy who actually did it in a Ford plant. At home he took some metal tubing and flattened the end and stuck it over the pumper nozzle to create an nice narrow nozzle you could slip between the gasket and glass and pump in the sealer keeping it off the outside of the gasket.
You also need to seal between the gasket and the body. The manual calls out medium bodied sealer. You could use body caulk like the 3M stuff that comes in boxes of round beads which seems the consistency of the old stuff or 3M window weld which is Butyl and comes in ribbons and will seal fantastic but is messy. As mentioned in the manual make sure you take care to seal around the windshield molding clips, because the water can wick between the clip and the body and bypass the gasket and sealer.
Here is the shop manual instructions from 1961. The first two steps are to remove all the old sealer and then slip the gasket onto the glass.

As far as putting the sealer between the glass and the gasket first, I would not since you want it in the final position before you pump in the sealer to get a reliable seal. If you use sealer and the nozzle you should be dry as a drum and looking sweet.

1961 PAD 2.jpeg 1961 PAD 3.jpeg 1961 PAD 4.jpeg 1961 PAD 5.jpeg

Last edited:

bobs409

Administrator
Thanks! I think I got it now. I have something called rope caulk that looks like the white sealer that was in there. It doesn't harden up and looks a bit like play dough.

So I think I'll try making a tip using a flattened out tube as well to squeeze the sealer in. Can I just use a clear silicone sealer found at Home Depot?

I see they end the pull cord at the bottom center so I guess there is enough room to pull it through. It seems tight in that area and I was going to end the cord at the both corners instead. I'll try it their way first.

1961 Bubble Boy

Well Known Member
Bob on the sealer use this between the glass and gasket:

http://www.crlaurence.com/crlapps/s...7:19756:19747:19758:19951&ModelID=19965&pom=0

It is black not clear. They sell a pumper cap for the can which when retrofitted with the flattened tube should make you a pro. Take your time to get a continuous line of sealer.

When I was at GM we had body sealers in clear and black but this was in the 90's and 2000's and we bonded the glass directly to the body and used urethane to adhere and seal so we never had to seal a gasketed windshield. I checked and the body sealers we used (Kent Clear and Kent Black) are not for rubber. We used them to repair body seams.

Remember the rope is to pry the rubber lip up and over the window opening flange so it is a tight spot near the dash.

Last edited:

1961 Bubble Boy

Well Known Member
Bob here is a link to get it on Amazon.com. They even sell the pumper.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000K40PGA/ref=dp_olp_new_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=new

I searched Google with CRL1716 and found several places. Amazon is my go to place.

On the silicone, I would pass. I think it is intended for a tiny job like fixing a leak.
The amount you need to do the windshield is more than a few tubes, and getting it to flow freely into the crevice and stay soft is not going to happen.
The pumper stuff is butyl and will seal like nothing else and not harden or break down after a few years.

Last edited:

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
If I remember correctly, home improvement stores sell sealer for rain gutter seams in caulking gun tubes. I think it is butyl, not sure what color it is or if it will work. Just a thought. It's been a while since I installed a front or rear glass, but I remember using a 3M product from a caulking gun tube. Sorry I don't remember what it was. :dunno:doh

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
CR Lorence is right here in Washington, they sell any and everthing glass related. Been doing business with them for over thirty years. I wouldn't recommend any home improvement store calk or the permatex. I'm sure you could buy the sealer from the same vender you purchased the windshield.

bobs409

Administrator
Here's one at Lowes: http://www.lowes.com/pd_109370-62616-RE3043___?productId=50041556&pl=1&Ntt=buytl

Bob here is a link to get it on Amazon.com. They even sell the pumper.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000K40PGA/ref=dp_olp_new_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=new

I searched Google with CRL1716 and found several places. Amazon is my go to place.

2 questions:

1) will a pint be enough to do both front and back windows?

2) Is that pump reusable? For the price I hope so!

1961 Bubble Boy

Well Known Member
First all butyl is not the same just like all rubber is not the same in fact butyl is a type of rubber but you wouldn't make tires out of it. Forget the stuff at Lowes. Yes the pump is reusable if you clean it out with solvent after each use. Given how little needs to go in the seal, you could probably do both windows with a pint.
The CR Laurence stuff in caulking tubes labeled just windshield sealant should work. However, working with the pumper setup and getting a nice angle between the glass and seal and slower more controlled flow will be a lot easier. Can't imagine holding that caulking gun parallel to the glass while getting the nozzle behind the lip and getting nice even slow flow out of a caulking gun as you move the nozzle along the seal keeping it behind the edge going all the way around on the outside and inside of the window.
Some people like to torture themselves to save a few bucks...

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Well, kinda ironic that with this thread about glass that I wind up having glass work done today. However, things didn't go to well. As I said in the post above, I'm working on my '61 Ventura and the rear glass has that goldish looking stain across the top also. I have tried everything I know of to get it off but to no avail. I have a local glass installer that has been doing my glass work for years and I've been after him all summer to come by and remove the rear glass from the Ventura, replace the rubber gasket and then reinstall the window. The area in my garage that I work in has two bays, the '61 Pontiac is parked in one bay and my '63 Galaxie is parked in the other bay. The Pontiac is setting there with the rear window trim removed and the new rubber gasket was laying on the car also. The glass man called me about 2 this afternoon and said he was going down to my shop and put that gasket in for me, he knows where I keep the spare key to the garage so I told him to go ahead and I would be there shortly. Well, I got tied up at work and was an hour or so getting there. When I pulled in my drive he was standing in the shop door grinning saying "where the hell is the gasket? I could have been finished by now but I can't find the gasket." Well, I walk in the shop and say to him, I don't have a damn gasket cause you done took the glass out of the wrong car!! He had removed the rear glass from the '63 Galaxie!! I'm thinking this ain't all bad because the gasket in the Ford also needed to be replaced anyway, I just hadn't planned to do it now.
I wish I had a camera when i told him he had removed the wrong glass, his lower jaw looked like it was going to drop to the ground! Anyway, I got him over to the Pontiac and he then removed the rear glass, installed the gasket and reinstalled the glass. The good part is he had some stuff on his truck called Betabade-F, it is glass cleaner that looks like a real fine rubbing compound, its made by Dow Corning, it took that goldist tint right off. Didn't do anything but wipe it on and rub it off.
I also wanted him to replace the two vent glasses because there were some small bubbles along the edge of the glass, I had bought new vent glasses several months ago and never bothered to unwrap them. He removed the old glass and went to put the first new one in and it was clear glass, should have been tinted!! So, tonight I ordered a new rear window rubber gasket for the Ford from Dennis Carpenter and another pair of tinted vent windows from Hubbards. The first of next week we going to take another whack at it. Some days you da windshield and some days you da bug

1961 Bubble Boy

Well Known Member
Well real61ss sounds like everyday in an assembly plant. I learned you can never assume anything, you cannot over communicate, and there is no substitution for being there in person. Everyone means well, but without a leader there to get everybody to pull at the same time in the same direction, they pull against each other and break the rope just as you show up. I would like to say you have bad luck, but just owning a 61 pretty much makes you a lucky dude...

bobs409

Administrator
Well, kinda ironic that with this thread about glass that I wind up having glass work done today...

So I'm NOT the only one that has this kind of thing happen to them. Sounds like you used the Tri-city glass shop! :D

We're starting to see why I like to do ALL of my own work. Unfortunately, I can't chrome plate or my bumpers would be done correctly by now. :rolleyes

bobs409

Administrator
Argh! 2 attempts to install but the bottom keeps popping out. Starts out ok, start pulling the cord but after a few inches, the rubber slips to the outside of the flange. I guess it's riding up on there. If I could just get the bottom in/started, I know I would get it. There is no damn room at the bottom and so tight, it's even hard to see in there! :furious Lack of experience is working against me here.

Gotta walk away for while, just one of those days. Maybe I'll try again tomorrow.

Guess I can always get the glass shop to come out but wanted to do it myself. :wah