64 impala axle removal

Having problems removing the drivers side axle of of the housing. Bearing seems to be seized in housing. Anyone seen this problem? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.:dunno :dunno

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
axle removal

Use a slide hammer to remove axle.I have also used a dead blow soft face hammer or a brass hammer to remove stuck axles. :cheers

Tic's60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
If no slide hammer I did what another member sugested. Take length of chain hook on end on the wheel stud then wrap weld or tie the other end to a length of pipe or baseball bat and whip away. I welded mine to a pipe. Just when your ready to pass out it will pop out.

slide hammer

Went to local Auto zone and borrowed a slide hammer. What a tool It accomplished in 5 minutes what I took all afternoon trying to get it out with no luck. Thanks for the help.

hrlykngt

Well Known Member
homemade puller

take a piece of rod bout 3/4 by 2 feet long drill a hole through the mioddle to slip it onto the shaft for a good weld and weld a flat piece of 1/2 inch stock on one end with holes drilled to go over a couple of lugs, find and old harmonic balancer and slide it on the rod with the flat side facing out snout toward axle and drill a hole in another piece of flat and weld it on the other end of the rod. this will make an excellent axle puller, run the lugs down onto the strap till they are snug and give it a couple of bumps with the balancer and it will pop right out. My dad made one of these almost 40 years ago and it is still used around the shop.

W Head

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
axle puller

I used an old axel, knocked out the studs, heated the spline end of the axel about 6"-8" down with a rose bud and put a 90 degree bend. Bolt the old axel to the axel you are trying to get out, slip an old flywheel over the shaft and bang away. about the 1st or 2nd bang is all it takes. I made this when I was in High school 45 years ago and still have it.

W Head

59 El Camino 348-3,2s
59 Impala 409-2,4s