69/70 disc brakes on a 58?

SpeedyV10

Thanks Bro! I am glad that you like it.

I bought my wheels through a custom wheel distributor here in Minneapolis. He came out and measured the car to make sure that the wheels would fit, then called Dave at Intro to confirm. At the time, I was actually more concerned about the fitment of the 20x10's in the rear!! I believe that both my wheel guy and Dave at Intro chose well (by showing as much lip as possible), however, we're off an inch. I am sure it will get squared away so no biggie.

1958Delivery, You had mentioned that you have had several wheels cut and re-welded by Intro. Do you have a shop in SoCal?

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Thanks Bro! I am glad that you like it.

I bought my wheels through a custom wheel distributor here in Minneapolis. He came out and measured the car to make sure that the wheels would fit, then called Dave at Intro to confirm. At the time, I was actually more concerned about the fitment of the 20x10's in the rear!! I believe that both my wheel guy and Dave at Intro chose well (by showing as much lip as possible), however, we're off an inch. I am sure it will get squared away so no biggie.

1958Delivery, You had mentioned that you have had several wheels cut and re-welded by Intro. Do you have a shop in SoCal?

Yes. Not an install, I just sell parts. And work on my own cars.
I edited my other reply. I had said"That kit came from Auto City Classic" I decided to not mention them. But I just noticed you are from Mn, am I right?
I am fairly close to Intro and know some of the folks there. It's easy to just drive over, wait a few days for the welding then go back to pick them up. But in your case you'll have down time waiting for shipping back and forth, bummer. You could always go look for the medallion:roll while you're waiting!

SpeedyV10

Yes. Not an install, I just sell parts. And work on my own cars.
I edited my other reply. I had said"That kit came from Auto City Classic" I decided to not mention them. But I just noticed you are from Mn, am I right?
I am fairly close to Intro and know some of the folks there. It's easy to just drive over, wait a few days for the welding then go back to pick them up. But in your case you'll have down time waiting for shipping back and forth, bummer. You could always go look for the medallion:roll while you're waiting!

What city are you in? I'll be in Orange ccounty from the 16th through the 22nd!

Yeah, it is an Auto city Classic kit. It's been a night mare. Here is a re-cap:
cracked rotor (drive there and exchange)
missing 4 brass crush washers
incorrect inner wheel bearings
return master and exchange
on 605 p/s kit:
The pump bracket did not fit the pump at all requiring extensive modification. Once mounted, the pulley did not line up with the crank pulley. I machined the p/s pulley and shimmed the pump bracket and got everything to line up.

Needless to say, I have not enjoyed this project. I was hoping for a turnkey kit but looking back I should have known that modifying old cars is never as easy as they make it look on TV!!!! The tires hitting was just icing on the cake. I know that everything will work out in the end.

The best part is that I have made many new friends during my adventures on this car.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
North OC. area.
Work I take it. On the 18th there's a good car show at Santa Anita Race track, Arcadia.
I didn't mean to imply that their brake kit was bad, I just recognized their gold cad calipers. In fact it is dimensionally identical to mine and most any other. I don't care for the two piece welded brakets though. Fortunately they're good guys and I'm sure they took care of any problems. And yes, some modification is often required in this trade!
I would suggest removing a front wheel and actually measuring the back space, just to double check that they didn't send you the wrong thing.
Put a straight edge across the inside lip and measure down to the mounting surface, you should get what they told you, 4.75".
Back to brakes I do a 12" rotor, 2" drop spindle kit that keeps the wheels in the original stock location, but it will definitely cost more then re-welding. About $475.
Again I think you may be able to get them re-welded for the price of shipping, talk nice to them!

SpeedyV10

I am gonna be on Vacation visiting family in Laguna Hills/Irvine area.

Yeah, Auto City took pretty good care of me on all the issues but as you well know, it's no fun to stop in the middle of a project and chase parts. Also, I work from 7 to 5 M-F and those are the only hours that they are open. The only bad experience that I have had with them is when I called to inquire about the chance of a different rotor and got some absolute prick on the phone who was more interested in criticizing me for lowering the car and changing the wheels.

I am letting my wheel guy do all the correspondence with Intro so hopefully either he will order me a new pair,or work with Intro to get things taken care of.

I know that modifications are required when dealing with old cars. I guess I should say that I know better than to expect plug n' play. I know it will be all worth it when the snow melts and I can take it out on the street for the first time with it's new altitude adjustment.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Too bad you didn't wait until the end of the month to come visit. There's a really good GoodGuys in Del Mar the last weekend of the month. Really big show.

SpeedyV10

I will check the back space tomorrow when I go to the shop. Thank you very much for reminding me!!!

:doh I am bummed that I will miss the good guys show!!! I'm going to try and make it to goodguys in Des Moines this year, as well as Milwaukee.

This is the main event that I want to be ready for. http://www.msra.com/BTT50's/BackToThe50s.htm I think that there will be about 12,000 cars this year, and it's about 6 miles from where I live.