a 1963 C50 coming to my community with a W

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
I am surrounded on 3 sides by farm fields and the farmer (landowner) lives just down the road. This time of year brings lots of farm sales in this area and the big sale of the year is about 30 miles from here. A farmer and his wife have decided to retire and sell his antique tractor collection and his working equipment. My neighbor went to the auction with the purpose of buying a 1963 C50 with a wooden 15 foot grain body that was built locally. The truck has been always kept under cover and run occasionally for the last several years and is advertised as very good condition. It's advertised as having "the large gas motor" and original as was purchased new buy the retiring farmer. I asked him if he knew what motor when he inspected it so I told him if it had W valve covers engine it would be nice to add to his existing older grain fleet. I hope it comes "home" today. I'm not familiar with the C50's and have only seen a couple 409 trucks but they were C80's I think. Any thoughts? Nice addition around here to the existing 366, 327's and early diesel ones here. He hires tractor trailers to transport grains to dryer.
Robert

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I bought the 409 in my Nova about 30 years ago from a junkyard, it was green and in a C50 single axle fifth wheel COE type truck.

62BillT

Well Known Member
The GMC V-6's were 305, 351, 401 and 478.

Later on they made a 379 and a 432 but soon after they were all dis-continued.

The V-8 version was a 637.

Besides a couple of 305's, I used to drive a 478 in a '62 6500 and a 637 in a '71 9500.

Interesting engines.

427John

Well Known Member
There are some non w motors in those trucks that have a weird valve cover a large v6
I've seen them in Chevy big trucks on occasion but not often, don't know if it was a special order thing or if someone had swapped them in but you saw them in lots of big GMC's and GMC pickups,my father in law had a 65 GMC haytruck that had a 478 Toroflow which was a diesel version of that V6 it accelerated slower than molasses but once you got it up to speed it seemed to pull hills OK.

Murphdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I built a 305 GMC for a local farmer in about 1977/78. Went into a tandem ( I think) GMC truck. He said GMC had used some V8 Pontiacs in them also. Was probably an early 60's truck. I was a dumb kid at the time. I charged him $600 for my part and like to never got paid.
Jeff

427John

Well Known Member
I built a 305 GMC for a local farmer in about 1977/78. Went into a tandem ( I think) GMC truck. He said GMC had used some V8 Pontiacs in them also. Was probably an early 60's truck. I was a dumb kid at the time. I charged him $600 for my part and like to never got paid.
Jeff
The Pontiac V-8's were used in 55 to I think 59 GMC pickups and big trucks,I think the big V-6 came out around that time and more or less replaced the Pontiac engines.