A Day In The Office

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
I believe these stupid thing are hiding in garages all over the place waiting for the fuel to get so bad that it smells up the shop for months and all the brake a clutch hydraulics have turned into a white clump sacrificial anode.

Tooth

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Land Rovers and Range Rovers are his specialty also I've seen him changing out the coils and the plugs and tuning them up and head gaskets Etc. You should all bring your British and European cars too James he can fix them I've seen him do it.. Now that Sean has sold all his is International Scout stuff and the Nash and the Oldsmobile and other miscellaneous stuff there's plenty of room in the shop for everybody to bring the British cars down to James. I heard he even gives multi-car discounts. :hide:fear2:roll:laugh James I think you should get the city to rename Big Bear Boulevard to MG HEAVEN.....

ROYALOAK62

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
James,

I cant believe that you have so much pom bombs around your area.
Is it like this all over the states or is it just in little pockets?
Just seems strange with all of the motoring history from the 30s up that you would have so many english cars over there

We have lots of austins, triumphs, Morris, English Ford and other BMC stuff like landrovers and rovers etc here
All the dead austins and triumphs are used for is Wiper systems for hot rods

Steve

You must remember after WW2 we had a lot of the returning servicemen that purchased British vehicles and shipped them back to the states. Those same servicemen cars made a impression with their own children. Also think about racing crowds that wanted cheap vehicles that were somewhat easy to fix.

Dave

Tooth

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
James I know this might be off topic but did you just hear the loud stealth bombers going east? Whiteman Air Force Base is only about 75 miles from us to the West. It woke me up it shook my house the rumble and ground shake went on for several minutes. The last time I felt that and heard that it was the stealth bombers headed to the east. Just curious if you heard it too?:shock2:hide IRAN / CHINA WAKE-UP?

Last edited:

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
I saw a Stealth heading West just last week, about 6:00 in the morning. It was flying quite low, way under the clouds. Heard it before I saw it!

Didn't hear anything this morning, they must be North of me. I'm about equidistant between where Tooth lives and where James lives.

Good thing they aren't made by BMC or they'd be hitting the ground once the electrics shut down :).

TomK

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Well just took the Morgan for a test drive, runs like crap, not to my surprise.
Front carburetor is far out adjustment and the slide hangs up, Champion spark plugs look like crap. And this guy said it ran fine. :crazy
Sure would like to take some of these people for a ride in the Shaker. :burnout

Tooth

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Well just took the Morgan for a test drive, runs like crap, not to my surprise.
Front carburetor is far out adjustment and the slide hangs up, Champion spark plugs look like crap. And this guy said it ran fine. :crazy
Sure would like to take some of these people for a ride in the Shaker. :burnout
I could bring the beater Nova down and you could take them for a ride in it, I would prefer that they be sporting some depends though not looking forward to any clean up if you know what I mean!:yikes:thud:fear

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
James,

I cant believe that you have so much pom bombs around your area.
Is it like this all over the states or is it just in little pockets?
Just seems strange with all of the motoring history from the 30s up that you would have so many english cars over there

We have lots of austins, triumphs, Morris, English Ford and other BMC stuff like landrovers and rovers etc here
All the dead austins and triumphs are used for is Wiper systems for hot rods

Steve
Keep in mind that after WWII the boys came back with a love for small European cars. That created a huge market in the states and so tens of thousands of these cars were sent to the U.S. and it filled a niche in the market for small cars when American Auto builders only made large cars. My 64 chevy's are 17' plus long and yet my wifes 1959 Triumph TR3 is 12-13' long.

55Brodie

Well Known Member
in the mid to late sixties, we had power to spar in a morris minor. jim
My first car was a 1957 Morris Minor 1000 Tourer (convertible) that I bought at age 15. I spent about a year and a half rebuilding everything and acquired 2 more Saloons (2 door coupes) along the way. My sister got the very nice 62 model and the other, a 61 was relegated to providing parts for the two runners. She failed to check oil and kicked a rod through the block one day so she stepped up to a 61 Tempest four banger, 3 speed rope drive pos. I believe that thing was more dangerous than any Corvair I ever drove.
Anyway, I was working after school at the neighborhood pharmacy and we had a 5th year pharmacy major doing this residency there with whom I became good friends. He was engaged to marry soon and his betrothed insisted he get rid of his present vehicle, a ticket magnet. It was a 62 Impala SS, 327/250 4 speed, black with red interior. He asked if I was interested in an even swap and I couldn't sign the title over quickly enough. I kept that car for about 4 and a half years, rebuilding and hopping up the 327, 2 tranny rebuilds, replacing axles, spider gears and drive shafts along the way. I have always missed that car, so a little over 3 years ago I purchased my current turd and am reliving my youth by replacing just about everything. If only the body were as willing.