A little information I ran across, that I thought all would enjoy

Bub6le 2op

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
thanks man that was great :clap i was born about 10 years to late. love those ole cars

uncleo

Well Known Member
Greetings from Long Branch,NJ,Americas first seashore resort and 7 time US summer capital....thanks for the story and the memories....I had the opportunity to see many of those cars back in the day and seeing Harvey Tilton's 409 race car(with steel you may touch written on the sides of the hood)brought me back to the time I first met the Rumson NJ racer and his father at Atco Raceway....he even joined our car club and in addtion to his racing stories I often tell the story of how Harvey promised to have the white'09 available to participate along with our other club cars in a big Fourth of July parade....as the spectators were increasing along the parade route and kick off time was coming down to the wire there was no Harvey....no car....but wait here he comes with car in tow weaving his way through a few marching units to join us for the long ride down Broadway to the oceanfront reviewing stand....he had gone racing at the then new Englistown track....finished.... and as he promised he was there for the parade and what an exciting reception he received all along the parade route with that ''drag race 409 race car''in tow ....starting in H.S. for me it was round track on Saturday night and the drags on Sunday....presently in the collection is a drag race 79 Camaro and a Pinto bodied round track modified....by the way when cars' drag racing days were over the Harvey Tilton 409 was returned to occasional street use.
Lee

The Runaway

Well Known Member
Thank you for the memories. I worked at Nickey Chevrolet for many years in the parts department and saw Dickie Harrell on a few occasions. Seltzer Pontiac who sponsored Arnie Beswick was about a 1/2 mile or so down the street. My Grandparents lived right down the street from Mr Norms Grand Spaulding Dodge and Norm and Lenny Krause basically grew up with my uncle. He wound up being the precinct captain where the dealership was located. The Grand Spaulding buildings are still there but not for long. The site has become overgrown with weeds and the buildings are crumbling. Also the area has become a ghetto now. Not a very safe area to even drive through. The old Nickey site is now townhouses and single family homes. A Porsch dealership was in the old Seltzer buildings but they went belly up a while ago.

bjburnout

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
hey 62bt409..........thanx for the great photos...........lotsa memories........:beer

:cheers
bj