A tale of two Biscaynes-part 1

wally409

Well Known Member
Well, 4 days and 3,000 miles later, I finally brought home a 62 Biscayne two door that I bought 8 years ago and hadn't picked up yet. It's a factory 283, 3 speed. There's no engine, tranny or interior - but it's a perfect restoration car.
I'd bought it from Gary Ladine in Bow Island, Alberta when we were visiting family in Lethbridge in 1998. He has over 800 old cars of every kind on his farm and I'd known him for quite a while when we used to live in that part of the province.
Anyway, last weekend, my wife and I hit the road from Penticton BC to southern Alberta to pick up the car. She visited friends and relatives while my life-long friend Lloyd Annable from Carmangay (farming community southeast of Calgary) hooked up his trailer to his pickup and we got the Biscayne.
Gary gave me some history on the car. The Saskatchewan license plates on the car go back to 1976 so it hadn't been on the road for at least the last 30 years. The car sat on Gary's property for the last 25 years tucked away behind a shed when I first discovered it.
I paid him $400 and I'd forgotten how good it was. It is straight and has ZERO rust on the body. The rockers and quarters are mint as are the front fenders. However, because it was sitting on four flat tires for a couple of decades, I'll have to replace two of the four floor pans but there rest of it is perfect. The trunk pan is like new and because it did not have any undercoat on it, it'll be easy to repair the underside of ther car.
Chrismas has come early for me and I'm going to spend a year or so, doing it up right.
I've sent some pictures with this thread.
Up next, A tale of two Biscaynes-part 2. wally

Attachments

• rod-pics 009.jpg
    rod-pics 009.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 102
  • rod-pics 010.jpg
    rod-pics 010.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 116
  • rod-pics 011.jpg
    rod-pics 011.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 63
  • rod-pics 012.jpg
    rod-pics 012.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 103
  • rod-pics 013.jpg
    rod-pics 013.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 102

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Paint it white

My favorite body style. For that kind of money you should have gotten taillight lens.

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
It looks good.:beerbang
Now, if you can just get it to look like the one in part two.:deal

bobs409

Administrator
8 years! :eek:

Whenever I buy a car, I can't sleep that night if I have to wait even 1 day. :D

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
8 years! :eek:

Whenever I buy a car, I can't sleep that night if I have to wait even 1 day. :D
That's true Bob. For me, the excitement usually takes over my whole body. After I get the car home, I settle down alittle, till I start checking it out, and find there's more work, to be done than anticipated.:doh It's still a great feeling though.:clap Skip:)

bubbletop1961

Well Known Member
I got to agree, 8years is a little long. BUT... If I bought a car and brought it home tomorow my wife might be mad. BUT If I stretch that out over 8 years she wont be mad at all. I think your on to something.

By the way, greta car. Looks like an awsome project.

wally409

Well Known Member
Interesting thoughts guys - believe me, that's not the way I'd planned it - just one of those things that happened.
I had started work on my 72 pickup and was still tinkering on my bubbletop and the time just snuck on by.
My wife of 35 years (bless her heart) gave up trying to convince me that I should quit playing with old cars a couple of decades ago.
But, you never know, if you have a spouse that doesn't get it, buy now, pick up much, much, much later......:p
Also, in the intervening years, I'd managed to pick up a T-10, stick, 409 and other stuff that will come in handy when I get the car done, so it will all word out. wally