Advice on rockers

dean409

Well Known Member
Comp Cams makes a 1.7 Magnum (pivot ball roller tip) for a 3/8" stud that's listed for a SB Ford. Wouldn't they work? I know the 348/409 rockers are the same as the old Chevy 6 cylinders (1.75 3/8").

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
The Comp Magnums you mentioned should work,but the 6 cyl.stuff,as someone else posted here,will not.

Belair348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Here's a follow up.

I installed the originals and now I have ungodly chatter coming from the engine. I've followed the manual procedure twice and I'm still getting the chatter. So two questions A. Do you have to warm the engine up before adjusting the valves (As the manual says). And B. should I get as much play in the rocker as I'm getting in this video after adjustment?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjmBeF0EKbY&feature=youtu.be

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
I know it's messy,but I usually adjust hyd.valve train with the engine running.Back it up till it clatters,adjust it down until it's quiet,then add 1/4-1/2 turn.

cuzineddy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Try these "Rocker Stoppers". We used them with great success back in the day. If they worked then, they should work now.Rocker Stoppers 001 [320x200].JPG

poison ivy

Well Known Member
check rocker slot, they can be elongated by grinding, my rule .030 clearance at full lift....they will pinch and break studs, or stress parts .. aftermarket rockers have failed during warm up on dyno...