air filter

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I know at least some corvettes with the chrome open element air cleaner used a different filter on the assembly line than was available from the dealer. Who knew a used air filter could be worth $1500!

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Jeff:

I haven't seen an actual reproduction unit, but I bet you can tell by the air horns. I've seen repop horns and they don't appear to be of very good quality. I bought one to replace a damaged original and it wasn't even close.
I'm sure others have more insights than that, but that's a start.

Good luck!
TomK

32jeff62

thanks I wish i had one to compare it to, I just need to know because I want to sell one
thanks jeff

63impalass409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I have an original 340 63 409 unit that has severe rust with holes and everything so a bought a re pop from Show CARS can not tell the difference but that could be because my eyes are not what they used to be. I also have a re pop dual quad unit and it looks mighty fine and fits perfect as it should for the pretty penny I paid but every used one I found looked like crap and they wanted same price for something that looks like someone threw on the ground for a door stop for years then decided to sell it hoping to get rich.

63impalass409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Show Cars also says there chrome quality is better than original and I trust that. I know I just bought re pop original exhaust for my 65 409 and figured I would have to wrestle it in but it fit perfect so I believe them on there quality.

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
As far as the quality, I can't tell the difference, if anything the Showcars is nicer. The way to tell them apart is the ShowCars one has their logo stamped in the base.

WINTERTEXAN

Well Known Member
If you have an air cleaner with our logo stamped on the base, it was one of the first 50 we made. We got so much grief about this we never did it again. We can't even tell you where the stamp is now.
Bruce, Show Cars (Semi retired)

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Bruce,
Great to hear from you, I had one with the stamp on it on my 63. They are just as Good, probably better than the originals.